Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My newly burned DVD's are unreadable

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kusai

Kusai

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

I burned 4 DVD's for backup purpose,then I checked the DVD'S and it were working fine but now after some 2 months or so,the DVD's are unreadable,when I put a DVD inside the drive then my pc hangs for a while then when I take out the DVD then the PC works fine.I want to at least see the data in the DVD's as It may be useful to me.There are no scratches on the DVD's.When I checked the DVD with Nero then it said it is unreadable,Another DVD which used to work fine some days ago suddenly became unreadable.Please help the data is extremely important for me? ty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

What brand DVD's? What burner?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:38 AM

I burned them with Nero 7 and the DVD's are of Moserbaer and Sony

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

souns like the problem is with you computer/dv plyer not the burnt disk ,did you try tme in another computer to be sure

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hello Caperjac,
No I haven't tried the DVD's in another computer,but 3 weeks ago I bought a New LG DVD Writer to replace my old Sony DVD Writer but still the LG DVD Writer doesn't recognize the disks.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

I understand, but it could easily be a problem with your windows,i suggest you try them in another computer to see if its software[windows]issue or hardware [dvd drive]issue

Edited by caperjac, 16 April 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#7 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the replies,I will definitely check in another computer in a week or 2 ,but I am a little curious that how could it be a software issue?

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

computers consist of 2 things hardware and software, so we need to rule out both as the cause,so start with hardware first ,computer has more software than hardware .
software [remember windows is software]causes all sorts of problems ,it could be causing this ,just my opinion

#9 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Alright Thanks for your advise I will check that out and let you know. :)

#10 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I checked on another 1 or 2 computers but the same problem persists the DVD's are not working :(
I really need the data

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

How is it a software problem if the disks can be read when newly burned, yet after sitting for awhile they go bad?

3 scenarios, burner on the way out, crappy media, or you store your burned discs in the sun/oven/tanning bed. Moser Baer- quality is all over the place (the 16X is not good). If they OEM for a name brand reseller, their quality GENERALLY isn't too bad, but still variable. If you have non name brands that Moser Baer OEM'd for, then the quality is all over the place from decent to garbage (like when CMC makes Verbatim media under contract=good stuff, CMC for anyone else=watch out.) Sony is variable as well, some of their Ritek media is garbage, some ain't so bad.

Your burner could be marginal, or your firmware doesn't burn the media well, or the burner might just not like the media, it happens.

In Nero Tools, run scandisk and see how many green/red/yellow sectors it shows. Also get the media codes as well and post them if you can.

As far as recovery, try Recuva first (free and it works on a lot of stuff) to see what it finds.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

I ran Scandisk In Nero but it gave an error " Unsupported file format" and piriform's recuva doesn't recover dvd or cd's data.The Media in the DVD's are not crappy and I store my DVD's in a cool dry place for your kind information. :lol: but still i am a little worried of my precious data, silly me I deleted the data from my hdd :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users