Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this still salvageable

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

EDIT: I split thos from an AII topic we had and cleaned another PC. They asked if this is fixable,so I split our conversation to here to have you experts look at it.
Thanks boop

Didn't need to defragment. Thanks again for all your help.....
You've given me a thought. I have a laptop that went to the blue screen of death....is it fixable? I didn't think so so it's sitting collecting dust, but after all you did here, I thought maybe??????? :mellow:

Edited by boopme, 14 April 2011 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

Hello. If it was a malware that killed it we can get it back. If not you need to replace that hard drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

That's a possibility

If the screen goes by to fast
STOP Reboot loop...BSOD

If Running Windows and it crashes and you get a blue screen with an error message ( BSOD )and it will automatically restart, Most times it restarts too fast for you to see and read the error message. We are going to disable auto restart on system failure. So the screen will stop and you can copy down the complete error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Ok so when I went on the laptop it right away had a screen that asked me to make a choice about the mode to start in .I went in safe mode. It said unmountable boot volume. I took a picture of each screen so I could show you if you could tell me how to post it here.
Right now the screen says Operating system not found.
Does this sound like malware?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Inserting An Image Within A Post

#6 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6259/computerlaptoppictures0.jpg

<a target='_blank' href='http://img543
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sorry about the double...I was scared to delete in case I delted stuff from the next picture....

Edited by JustLearningSue, 14 April 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

I am going to split this to the XP fotum so they can look at these pics and see if we can get you a good idea.

I'll send you a link/

Edited by boopme, 14 April 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Unmountable boot volume errors are fairly common.

Some can be overcome by running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console...some may indicate a problem with the hard drive itself or the partition structure.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Looking at the graphic you posted...I'd say that you may have a weak/dying CMOS battery, based on the PXE error. That error normally indicates that the system is trying to boot from a network and that is the default boot option on some systems, due to method of installing the O/S. When the CMOS battery weakens, it causes all sorts of strange errors in the CMOS...may provoke false messages about the hardware in the system, indicating problems where there really are none.

First thing I would do is boot into the BIOS...see what the first boot option is. If it's network, manually change it to your hard drive and save the change.

After the system reboots, let us know if you still get the error reflected in your graphic.

If the system still tries a network boot or you cannot change the first option...I would purchase/install a new CMOS battery.

"PXE-E61: Media test failed, check cable."

Louis

#9 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

The Start Up screen says Boot and then Network. I should switch to network, correct?

#10 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Also, I will need a little direction as to changing it manually and saving it to my hard drive. Can you walk me through it? Thanks

#11 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

When I put in the XP cd and hit R for recovery I got a screen telling me:
Set up did not find any hard disk drives in your comouter. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or set up program.
Set up cannot continue. To quit set up press F3.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

"First thing I would do is boot into the BIOS...see what the first boot option is. If it's network, manually change it to your hard drive and save the change."

Louis

#13 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I did boot into bios and it gave the options
boot
network
I don't know if I scroll down to network?
How do I save that to my hard drive?

Edited by JustLearningSue, 17 April 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

System manufacturer and model, please?

Louis

#15 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

It is a IBM Think Pad Lenovo R52. I am running XP.

Edited by JustLearningSue, 17 April 2011 - 09:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users