Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A disk read error occurred message when loading xp

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 devious creations

devious creations

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

When the computer starts right away i get this error message= a disk read occured press ctrl + alt + del to restart. My system is xp pro.

Edited by devious creations, 14 April 2011 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hi devious,

It looks like there are a lot of misnomers about this particular error so the more information we have to help you out, the better.

I have seen many solutions to this problem, but none of them seem to be consistent with every computer. That said, I have a couple of questions to help narrow down the issue.

First things first.
1. Is the computer usable?
- Can you still use the computer at all or are you using a second computer to troubleshoot with?
- What is the computer name/model/manufacturer/etc?

2. Is the hard drive using a FAT32 or NTFS partition?
- To find out:
a. Press windows key + e to open windows explorer
b. Right click on your hard drive and select properties
c. On the box that pops up you should be able to read FAT32 or NTFS next to filesystem

3. How is your hard drive setup?
- Do you have a ribbon cable running to your hard drive(IDE/SCSI/SATA/other)? Is it USB? Is it external/internal? Do you know how to find out?

If it is IDE
a. Is the hard drive set as "master"?
b. Is the cable damaged in any way?
Some users have reported that changing this cable has done the trick but it depends on what you've got.

4. Check with Microsoft Support.
- This problem has been an issue for quite a few people with no apparent 'easy' fix.

5. Why do you still have windows xp?
You should consider updating if at all possible as support will soon be quite lacking for the out-dated windows xp and it has quite a few flaws and security holes that have been patched up since then.

Edited by iqchicken, 14 April 2011 - 05:39 PM.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

When the computer starts right away i get this error message= a disk read occured press ctrl + alt + del to restart. My system is xp pro.

1) At what point do you get that message?
2) After getting the message, what happens?
3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

You need to provide complete details in order to receive intelligent assistance.

#5 devious creations

devious creations
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:19 AM

System manufacturer and model?Louis

Dell inspiron 6000 laptop

Hi devious,It looks like there are a lot of misnomers about this particular error so the more information we have to help you out, the better. I have seen many solutions to this problem, but none of them seem to be consistent with every computer. That said, I have a couple of questions to help narrow down the issue.First things first. 1. Is the computer usable?- Can you still use the computer at all or are you using a second computer to troubleshoot with?- What is the computer name/model/manufacturer/etc?2. Is the hard drive using a FAT32 or NTFS partition? - To find out: a. Press windows key + e to open windows explorer b. Right click on your hard drive and select properties c. On the box that pops up you should be able to read FAT32 or NTFS next to filesystem3. How is your hard drive setup? - Do you have a ribbon cable running to your hard drive(IDE/SCSI/SATA/other)? Is it USB? Is it external/internal? Do you know how to find out? If it is IDE a. Is the hard drive set as "master"? b. Is the cable damaged in any way? Some users have reported that changing this cable has done the trick but it depends on what you've got.4. Check with Microsoft Support.- This problem has been an issue for quite a few people with no apparent 'easy' fix.5. Why do you still have windows xp? You should consider updating if at all possible as support will soon be quite lacking for the out-dated windows xp and it has quite a few flaws and security holes that have been patched up since then.

the computer is not usable. Still have xp pro since its what was on the computer.

1) At what point do you get that message?2) After getting the message, what happens?3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?You need to provide complete details in order to receive intelligent assistance.

I was doing a reinstall. In the setup after the computer copies window files and restarts is when i get this message. The message just stays on the screen until i hit ctrl alt del and then it restarts and does the same thing.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

Did you not think it was important to tell us this is happening during a reinstall of the OS?

EXACTLY how are you reinstalling (step by step)? What is causing you to reinstall? Are you using an original, retail XP CD or is this a reinstall cd provided with the computer. As I said above, the quality of the support you receive will be in direct proportion to the quality of the information you provide.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19271799.aspx

I would run the Dell Diagnostics package and then report any errors reflected for the hard drive. If you cannot run Dell Diagnostics...I suggest that you download the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...and run the long/extended test on your drive.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Louis - it first needs to be clarified whether the disk read error refers to the hd or the cd since this is happening during an attempted reinstall.

#9 devious creations

devious creations
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Did you not think it was important to tell us this is happening during a reinstall of the OS?

EXACTLY how are you reinstalling (step by step)? What is causing you to reinstall? Are you using an original, retail XP CD or is this a reinstall cd provided with the computer. As I said above, the quality of the support you receive will be in direct proportion to the quality of the information you provide.

I am using the xp cd that came with my dell computer. I put in the disk, boot from the disc then follow the prompts to format and reinstall windows. It says copying files then restart. Thats when i get the error. I am reinstalling bc the computer caught a virus and it was just a huge hasstle trying to get rid of it and i didnt have anything important on the computer so i just figured to hell with it ill wipe it clean.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Okay, let me see if I understand correctly. This is an original XP CD, not a repair cd, correct?
You successfully boot to it, the installation routine begins and you successfully format the drive, is that correct?
Then the OS installs and reboots and that's when you get the error, is that correct?

If all of the above is right, please try this: just before you reboot, remove the cd. Does that make any difference? If not, then I suggest you follow the instructions in Hamluis post above.

#11 devious creations

devious creations
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19271799.aspx

I would run the Dell Diagnostics package and then report any errors reflected for the hard drive. If you cannot run Dell Diagnostics...I suggest that you download the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...and run the long/extended test on your drive.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

ran the test and it showed the following error "error code : 1000-0146

#12 devious creations

devious creations
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

Okay, let me see if I understand correctly. This is an original XP CD, not a repair cd, correct?
You successfully boot to it, the installation routine begins and you successfully format the drive, is that correct?
Then the OS installs and reboots and that's when you get the error, is that correct?

If all of the above is right, please try this: just before you reboot, remove the cd. Does that make any difference? If not, then I suggest you follow the instructions in Hamluis post above.

Yes the cd is an original cd. Yes i boot to it successfully format. Yes when it reboots i get the error.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Dell Reference

I would run the test again, following the specific instructions above.

Louis

#14 devious creations

devious creations
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

still getting same error

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Please confirm you get the same error if you remove the cd before rebooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users