Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me interpret these 2 ComboFix logs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 philochron

philochron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Got a virus yesterday that seems to have affected the hard drive. Ran ComboFix a few times today. The system seems stable now, no longer giving me warnings about hard drive and RAM failures. The first log mentions that an infected copy of volsnap.sys was found and disinfected. But, all old icons (other than Trash and Internet Explorer) are still gone from the desktop. Most programs (including MS Office) still do not show up in the Start menu. Ad-aware does not work, though some other anti-spyware programs have. Firefox mostly seems to work fine, whereas it wouldn't start when the virus broke out.

Here are my two logs from ComboFix. Any help understanding what to do next would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 April 2011 - 03:28 PM.
Moved to log forum. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 philochron

philochron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

I think I figured it out. I found the virus file that deceived me about the extent of system damage and tried to get me to pay for fake removal software. I then figured that the virus simply hid all my desktop files to trick me into thinking that my system was totally screwed. I then changed the option to show all hidden files and everything appeared back on my desktop. Now I just have to make sure the virus doesn't reinstall itself.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users