Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless disconnecting constantly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikazumi

Mikazumi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hello, (I hope this is in the right place...)

Just to start off, I guess I'm a complete idiot when it comes to internet and wireless, in the form of security. Anyway, I recently installed a wireless router to my network and have been using wireless on my laptop. Ever since I have done so, I keep getting UDP floods, SYN floods, Smurfs, TCP FIN scans and the like. I did a little googling and it appears it's all forms of DoS attacks.

Beforehand my firewall wasn't too up to date so I was constantly lagging out and disconnecting. After I fixed it up (I have Outpost Firewall) the lagging ceased. However a few days ago I'm just straight disconnecting all the time and I know it's not my wireless kicking up. I play online games regularly and it has now become a pain in the butt to do anything when I disconnect every few minutes or so.

As I said above I'm pretty dumb with this and know nothing about what to do or what information to provide, but I really hope I can be helped out. I don't want to go back to wired internet but after some thinking I might have to despite how much I am against the idea. Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mikazumi

Mikazumi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

I'm going to bump this because I really do need some help :( getting lag again and continuing to get what seems to be these DoS attacks.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

Hmm someone really doesn't like you if your getting repeated DoS attacks. Anyway I would start by unplugging your router then plugging it back in then making sure that you have a password on your wireless connection, then I would make sure your virus protection on your laptop is up to date (if you have one if not just ask and i will recommend one) then do a full scan with it. If you find any infections then tell me and I will direct you to a different board on this forum that can help you with that. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

What model number router do you have? We will need to see what it supports. You should have the highest encryption turned on WPAv1 with addons (TKIP) or WPAv2 (depends on what your router supports) You should use a Key generator to create the Encryption key these use special characters that are hard to create on your own. Depending on the router you can create a set-up disc or USB to copy the settings to each host. You can enable MAC address filtering (MAC address can be cloned though). You can also Use port filtering to block incoming traffic. Turn OFF SSID so your network isn't readily visible to other computers and change the SSID to something unusual but something you will recognize. Each wireless host will need to know the SSID before its turned off (or you need to assign it) otherwise they wont see your network. Change the default address for the router log in (usually 192.168.1.1) and change the default password. You can also change your network address from the standard 192.168.1.0 to anything from 192.0.0.0 to 223.255.255.255 that's the range for Class C private network. Statically assign each host with its ip address and configure the router to only allow enough connections to cover your network. Anything can be hacked it just takes longer the more security you have installed. Its far easier to move onto a network less secure then to hang around hacking each protocol.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users