Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Glitch/Crash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi guys,

I've been having this problem for literally years and I've tried everything within my limited knowledge to correct it and I want to ask some professionals before I chalk it up to seedy hardware that will have to be replaced. I can't afford to replace it anyhow. =)

SPECS:
-------------------------
Toshiba Satellite x205
Windows Vista 32Bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo (2GB) T5750
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8700M GT
3GB of RAM
Vid Driver Date: 7/23/2009
Vid Driver Version: 8.15.11.8642

WHAT HAPPENS:
Video gets blurry and.. has translucent bars everywhere.. almost like a crazy fun house mirror.. it stays like that for a while and pc still operates for a while before i get a headache and reboot it to fix the video OR it sometimes crashes on its own

WHEN IT HAPPENS:
I don't have this problem during normal windows operation. Presumably, it only happens when the video card has a higher than normal load (speculation). It happens predominately when I try to play Guild Wars. It seems to happen at random intervals from one minute to 2 hours. I never know when it is going to strike. The funny part is.. the strange glitchy translucent windows thing ONLY happens on guild wars. Other games.. if they are massively graphical, tend to just make the computer instantly shutdown (at which point I don't play them again)

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
- I always do windows updates.
- I have gone to the NVIDIA website to get updated drivers (though I'm not sure why the driver date still seems so old. Perhaps my laptop is just that out of date and will no longer get driver fixes?)
- I have reduced the graphics settings within Guild Wars to the lowest possible settings as near as I can tell. All textures are on low quality, anti-aliasing is off, all the tropospheric, spacial engineering features and all that fancy stuff that i don't even know what it is is off.
- I have searched the forums.
==============================

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions. And as an old member of the recently disbanded castlecops team (rip), I thank you all for your work here.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

The Nvidia website is really the wrong place to go for a video driver for your laptop.
You should get all drivers you require from the Toshiba website since laptop maker's very often use custom-made components
which only work properly with the customised drivers that only they can supply.

Go here: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Click on "Download", then use the selector boxes to choose your model.

Note, you'll find there are actually six models in the Satellite X205 series so you'll need to check on the underside of yours
to see what it's full model number is.

#3 iqchicken

iqchicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the response pip. I have a sneaking suspicion that I've tried this driver before but to be thorough I'll definitely try it again to make sure. The Toshiba site directs me to a driver dated 6/25/2008 (version: 7.15.11.7605) which I have currently re-installed.

The laptop is in fact a X205-S9810.

I will give this driver a test. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again. I hope it works!

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users