Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe infection on Win XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Soul Tsukino

Soul Tsukino

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

This started Sunday night and I think I have an infection somewhere that is making my svchost.exe go bonkers. I had a similar infection lat last year but the steps I took to clear it up don't seem to work this time around. I'll give what info I can get.

Symptoms:
svchost.exe's usage shoots through roof.
Turned all my files invisible (since corrected)
Shut down my system restore
causes odd pop ups on sites that don't have pop ups (like my own)

Programs used to try an fix it:
Avast!
MSE (since uninstalled as it delayed the internet from connecting and was already running Avast! and that actually seems to be working)
CCleaner
Malwarebytes
Win Malicious software tool
otl
Hijack this

Warnings (From Avast):

199.80.55.19 affecting the svchost.exe file
MBR://physicaldrive 0 (A "Delete immediatly" warning)
Multiple \??C:\...{10bc73c-cd25-411D- warnings followed by \.\physicaldrive0 mbr:TD4

It took my 2 months to get this fixed the last time I had it so I'm hoping to get this fixed ASAP this time around. As I mentioned I have OTL and will be willing to do a scan and show the logs if it help point me in a direction of what to do.

Edited by Soul Tsukino, 14 April 2011 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users