Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysheriff Nightmare!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 clueless punter

clueless punter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:16 AM

Hello all!

Apologises for having to butt in like this but I'm having a nightmare with my laptop at present. My Norton AntiVirus has been refusing to update - though I've tried to update it when informed, it continually issues a 'Failed Connection' notice. That aside...

...the other day I noticed a red circular icon with a white 'X' appear in my desktop tray, when I right-clicked to attain the 'Properties' details - the icon failed to respond to any clicks other than issue a notice saying my laptop was infected. Next thing I know, SpySheriff has opened on my screen and begins scanning files...30 or so desktop icons emerged on my screen with links ranging from CasionOnline to CarInsurance to AdultSites. Dozens of 'Symantec' scanning windows appeared on the screen, so many that it jammed my laptop and I was forced to manually log-off. On rebooting, SpySheriff opened instantly and 21 new IE windows opened to accountonline.com and other sites. I downsized these screens and disconnected from the net - with GREAT difficulty, I removed the main SpySheriff.exe programme and deleted all the desktop icons (I have kids who did not need to see some of the content). However, despite removing the main 'Trial SpySheriff programme) I'm still riddled with ancillary infections - and the red-circle with the white X is still in my desktop tray - everytime I connect to the net, 31 windows open and connect me to all sorts of rubbish including accountonline.com and I can't access any other websites. Worse, the 'Symantec' scanning windows pop up incalculably and block out my entire screen. Also, every browser window now has ZToolbar firmly implanted - which is highly annoying and my desktop background is fixed on a SpySheriff 'Warning'. It won't even let me change to a normal XP background. Am I screwed???

I use the laptop for work a great deal and have thousands of valuable account documents - although I have some backed-up on USB Flashdisks. I have a presentation due on January 2nd 2006 - but I can't complete it because this irritation is crippling anything I do and I can use the internet with it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely worried,

Clueless Punter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:05 AM

To remove your infection I would now like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com.

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within.

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users