Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I switched from using outlook express to Outlook 2007.
The search option in express works really good.
Today I tried searching for an email I got a few days ago from Hope in outlook. It pulled up all kinds of email that had no "hope " word in it that I could see...and not the email I was looking for.
It was in my inbox and on the first page. It took me 3 min to find it by scrolling down. With it highlighted I did another search 50 "non-hope"emails it found but not the one from hope. Is there something wrong with the program. I looked it up on google and found this format "from: Hope" still did not work.

Also I have a couple of hotmail accounts....I still check them all in express.
At work, when I add an account.... the message in outlook is "exchange can only set-up one exchange account!
Is it possible that outlook express is a better program the Outlook?! I use XP at home and at work. On both computers the search function does not work?!
However, I have no trouble in hotmail or express.

thanks in advance for your help.
Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

just for clarification
at work I have my own personal email and an info email I want to check. Since one user has only one account do you have to log out and log in as "info" to check that account...seems very inefficient?!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hello,

Is it possible that outlook express is a better program the Outlook?
This should answer your question.

Today I tried searching for an email I got a few days ago from Hope in outlook. It pulled up all kinds of email that had no "hope " word in it that I could see...and not the email I was looking for.
You could read through the following threads:
Outlook Search
Outlook Search - 2
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

"Is it possible that outlook express is a better program the Outlook?"

Not as far as I'm concerned because with Outlook it is far easier to make backups of all your emails & contacts, all you have to do is export one file.
With Outlook Express you can't do that.

I never use it's search function so that's irrelevant to me.

Edited by pip22, 14 April 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#5 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

Outlook will support connecting to multiple accounts just like Outlook Express - in other words multiple POP / SMTP accounts such as hotmail or gmail.

Outlook did not support connecting to multiple Exchange accounts prior to the Outlook 2010, but now it does, so your incoming (and outgoing) email for other "generic" accounts such as info@ or sales@ can be shown alongside your normal inbox.

As for searching, this is easily improved if you have a better indexing engine in your OS, so you could install the (free) Windows Search on XP (Vista and Windows 7 have their own version of this built-in indexing tool which generally seems to perform better). By pre-indexing things, search is simply looking up a pre-determined result rather than actually having to read through your files (or emails in this case) to generate results on the fly.

Hope this helps
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#6 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thanks
good to know about outlook 2010
how do you install the free window search on xp ...is that from outlook....because it does ask if you want to install a search option I said no.
thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users