Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

U.S. Government Targets Ring Infecting 2.3 Million Computers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:32 AM

U.S. Government Targets Ring Infecting 2.3 Million Computers

WASHINGTON -- The FBI and the Justice Department on Wednesday began dismantling a ring of international computer thieves who stole hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide by infecting over 2.3 million computers with malicious software. It was the biggest such enforcement action U.S. authorities have ever taken against cyber criminals.

FBI officials said investigators were able to execute a digital sting of their own -- taking control of several of the malicious computer servers and sending commands to make them stop transferring pirated data.

Just one ring down and in its place another is born again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

Wow. :blink:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 TSR dude

TSR dude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

I work in tech support for an ISP and am spending more and more of my time every day removing viruses from customers PC's infected in this way. There's a lot of scumware out there.

#4 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

While at the onset this sounds good for the general public, I worry anytime the government becomes involved in policing ANYTHING, and to what extent they're willing to go. If you have any doubts try going to the EFF and reading up on some of the illegal goings on by those who say they're only trying to protect us! Also read up on the lives they've ruined in their wake!

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

If governments around the world and large companies like Microsoft and large anti virus companies all working together don't do it; who will??

#6 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

How about the users themselves who are smart enough to come to sites such as BleepingComputer? I'm sorry but I don't buy into the concept of giving up freedom for the sake of security theory as that was already put into practice and abused on more than several occasions.

People who are so willing to sit by and allow someone else to do whatever is necessary for them, in essence become not only powerless to help themselves but defenseless because of what they've given up.

#7 mo536

mo536

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

I'm leary of what the government is willing to consider actionably malicious and what they're not. I get the impression they're totally willing to stop software pirates whenever possible, but when Direct Revenue was on trial, they treated them like a legitimate business and let them off the hook completely. If they're not stopping the billionaires who profit from commercial malware development, they're missing the worst of the worst, IMO. Makes me distrust any of their efforts, because it seems like they're only interested in protecting the interests of businesses when it comes to computer crimes.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I understand your concern of things like Direct Revenue. I just don't think that the big company's and government should stop trying to catch the bad guys. Some bank robbers don't get caught but that doesn't mean we should stop trying to catch bank robbers.

#9 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Part of the problem nowadays is where is the line now between big companies and government anymore? That's why I am so adamant and distrustful/unyeilding of this whole concept.
We were warned by Eisenhower in 1962 or 1963 about the powers to be and the Military Industrial Complex wanting to run the show and that eventually they would if we let them. I think we are very close or at least on the verge of seeing that become a reality within our lifetimes. I am no more willing to allow the government untethered access to my computer than I would allow them to simply walk in my door of my home unannounced or without a fight.
No matter which party is in control they cannot even balance their own checkbook and now some here expect us to simply allow them to run the underside of our computers? No thank you. No sheep here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users