Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keep shutting down for no reason

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anarchoi

anarchoi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have big problems with my computer... For an unknown reason my computer started randomly shutting down for no reason... It is not a reboot, not a blue screen, the computer just power off without any reason, just like if it was suddently unplugged. Sometimes it will shut down a few minutes after i launch windows, sometimes it will last an hour or two and then will shut down suddently

I tryed many thing without success

- Tryed to change my power supply
- Tryed to change my memory
- Tryed to change my hard disk and reinstall window
- Tryed to change my graphic card
- Tryed to put fresh thermal paste on my CPU
I even tryed to change my power supply wire\power cord

Nothing worked... I have been using this computer for 3 years and never had any problem... I don't understand whats going on

My CPU temperature is normal and my case is very well ventilated. It is not an overheating problem

My computer is an AMD Dual Core 6600+ with 4GB ram and 450w power supply. I'm using Windows XP

Since i changed almost all piece of hardware on my computer, i think it must be a problem either with the motherboard or the CPU itself.... I don't have spare board or CPU so i will have to buy a new board and a new CPU.... What should i start with ? Does this looks like a CPU problem or a motherboard problem ?
Also, do you think that updating the BIOS could change something?

thanks for help

Edited by anarchoi, 14 April 2011 - 05:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

I've had this happen to me before. How i solved it was in the BIOS, someone set to turn off every 15 minutes which caused it to turn off automatically. You should have a look in your BIOS for something about shut down timer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

<<Tryed to change my power supply>>

Well...you either changed it or you didn't...did you change to a known good PSU that is adequate for your system?

What PSU is currently installed? What replacement did you try?

Louis

#4 Travito

Travito

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

When checking the internal components of your system, did you check to see if any of the capacitors were bulging at the top or corroded?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

I am working on a system with similar behaviour

Eliminate the cd by removing power & data cables to it.
Clear CMOS.
Check and clean all fans & heat sink.

Boot into the BIOS & let it sit.
If it does the same thing there its most likely the motherboard.
Thats what the one I am working on does. Time factor is completely random too.

IS this a custom system or brand name.
IF brand name please post make/model
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users