Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus somehow disabled Video card (perhaps through BIOS?)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Error Error

Error Error

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:13 AM

Computer Specs: (I built this comp from scratch)
Mother Board: Nvidia 590 sli amd
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual core processor 4600+ 64 bit
Memory: 1GBx4 mix of PNY and kingston (about 2.5 GB is used considering I have XP 32)
Video Card: Geforce 8500GT PCI-E
Operating System: Windows XP (SP3) 32 bit (I know I have 64 bit arch, but is the only OS available to me atm)
BIOS: Phoenix BIOS (D686 BIOS)

Couple nights ago I got a nasty virus that wiped out everything on my hard drive and kept a few necessary files that enabled me to still boot up, get to windows xp (sp3), and do very limited functions. The virus basically disabled my administrator rights and I could not exit out of the adware/"antivirus" protection it was offering me. I have a decent amount of experience with computer hardware, but am lacking on the software side. I told myself ok I'm going to reboot once see if I can't somehow delete the virus off of my computer manually through add/remove programes, etc., and if that fails I'm going to format the hard drive and start from scratch. I Booted up one more time. Could not delete anything, and before I went to shutdown I kept seeing an error pop up. It was something along the lines of either "could not recognize SATA controller" or something about hard drive function I really do not remember, yet I guess I should have been paying more attention.

Anyway, I hit the reset button, after putting in my Windows XP disk (to format) and during the POST I saw it stop at 2B and heard 1 long beep and 2 (maybe 3) short ones. This happens indefinitely now. My motherboard still goes through all of the necessary functions, but it stops at 7F and won't recognize monitor/video card. Either way it's a video card problem I think. My video card is a PCI-E GFORCE 8500GT and am contemplating buying a cheap PCI non express slot card just to see if I can actually see my BIOS. I suspect that the virus has somehow manually disabled my display either through windows OS or BIOS. I have tried taking the CMOS pin and shorting it to clear the CMOS. I have also taken the CMOS battery out, shutdown everything, and waited for a good 30 minutes. These approaches haven't worked so maybe it isn't a BIOS problem I don't know. I have been scouring the net for the Pheonix BIOS Crisis recovery exe, but know that it will be hard 1. Converting it to recognize USB (instead of floppy) without being able to even see BIOS or windows for that matter and 2. Converting it to my Mother Boards's BIOS which is Phoenix D686. The Phoenix (company, corp, institute?) must have just disabled anything to do with their BIOS support on their own website, and it seems they have infilitrated every website and intimidated people into taking off their drivers on oter as well. SO FRUSTRATING.

I know the virus has affected the video card in some way either physically or through software. The odds of me having a simultaneous video card and virus problem are extremely high because I almost never get viruses (last one I got was like 4 years ago), and my VC has been running like a champ for the past year. I don't have money right now to build a new comp, and could perhaps buy a new BIOS chip or cheap video card if that is the real problem.

Now to the question(s) at hand. Is my motherboard just fried and should I not even bother? Or is it (somehow?) a video card problem and should I invest in a new one (don't like this option because if it isn't I'm out the cash)? Or is it a BIOS problem and should I continue down the road of trying to somehow recover my BIOS through blind flashing (not sure if this is the right term)? Or could it possible be a hard drive problem (it's SATA)? Any ideas on how I could possible press a combination of keys to magically get my display working so I can get into my BIOS and eventually format my OS (seems pretty far-fetched I suppose). As you can tell I like paranthesis. Thanks for any help in advance (I appreciate it). HA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Error Error

Error Error
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

I should clarify a few things after reading my hurried post. When I say it goes through normal functions after the 2B code (1 long 2 short) I mean I can press delete during POST, and after 7f it will actually switch to 01 (which is BIOS for POST codes if I'm not mistaken). So I know my comp is still somewhat functional.

In reference to "The odds of me having a simultaneous video card and virus problem are extremely high " I meant the probability is very low that I would have these two problems independent of eachother. I definitely have a virus, but I think with enough troubleshooting and problem solving I can fix the video card problem and get to the format screen for windows(goal) to rid myself of this pesky virus.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

If you are getting video out to your computer to see the POST Screens then your video card is fine. To confirm this try the video card in another machine.

What were the names of the popup boxes you received?

#4 Error Error

Error Error
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well I'm seeing the POST codes on my motherboard. It has a built in digital box on its surface. I am actually getting NO video out to my computer (motherboard),it isn't recognizing it, and unfortunately I do not have another motherboard with a PCI-E card built in to test this. The pop ups I was seeing were 1. Something along the lines of "Need to be an Administrator to run this program" 2. There is a "problem" with your SATA controller or hard drive. I wish I could be more help with the second one, but my first reaction was "crap I got a virus time to format" so I was not really paying much attention. The virus did however delete all of my System and Administrator files, so I couldn't even try a System Restore (even if it didn't delete all these files, it stille disabled my administrator rights). Not like any of this even matters now since I can't even get to windows much less see my BIOS or even see anything for that matter.

#5 Flabum

Flabum

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

I would disconnect the hard drive, clear the BIOS and see if your video comes back.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Try reseating both the memory and video card.
To me, it is extremely unlikely that your virus disabled your video card.

If the motherboard has onboard video remove the add on card and try the onboard.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Error Error

Error Error
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Tried Flabum's method and it did not work, so perhaps it is looking like a hardware failure or more unlikely a BIOS problem. Reseated both the memory and video card. And unfortunately there is not onboard video. Also tried putting video card in other SLI PCI-E spot and got POST code 5d, so it at least knows something is there, but these Motherboards aren't designed to operate a video card in either slot it has to be slot 1. So maybe it is looking more like a PCI-E malfunction? Or perhaps it still is a video card problem. I guess my next step is to buy a basic PCI video card and see what happens then.

#8 Error Error

Error Error
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

Got a regular old PCI video card and was able to actually see my BIOS and am in the process of formatting my Hard Drive and installing windows. So it definitely was either a PCI-E problem or Video Card problem, which is eerie if me getting a virus and my video card broke at the same time independent of eachother. What are the odds? I'll keep you posted about which was/is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users