Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashed and Went into a reinstall of Vista on its own, how can i recover my files??????????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stevobentz

stevobentz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

my computer crashed out of nowhere and did a restart where it started re installing windows vista making me create the log in accept terms of use set up accounts etc. i see a bunch of my program files still here and what not but all of my pictures documents and music is gone i cant find it and i did not back it up anywhere is there any way to recover or restore any of it?
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

From what you say it sounds like your PC has done a factory recovery which "wipes" all existing data from the C: drive and overwrites it with a fresh installation. That's why keeping backups of your files on a separate drive or on optical discs is absolutely vital. I'm afraid your files have gone forever.

Keeping backups is not only essential in the above scenario, it's also essential because all hard drives will eventually fail, leaving the data inaccessible except by using the very expensive services of a data recovery company.

#3 stevobentz

stevobentz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

Is there a reason that some of the program files are still here such as netgear for my router the itunes files my antivirus my internet connection settings it connected to the remembered wi fi right away also i still had google chrome etc?

#4 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi stevebentz, Check to see if the files are hidden. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

#5 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

It sounds as though, rather than a Windows reinstallation, a new user profile may have been created. Check by browsing to My Computer > C: > Users (or Documents and Settings). Then look at all the folder names. Take a look inside any that look promising.

If files were indeed wiped out, you could try a file recovery program. I use GetDataBack for NTFS but that is not free. Your mileage may vary with the free ones. GetDataBack is very good in my opinion, but even that won't recover everything, especially if the files have been physically overwritten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users