Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TCP ports are open? What do I do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RicochetMaster

RicochetMaster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

I recently did a scan of my IP address using the Network Utility on Mac OS X. It came up with the following:

Open TCP Port: 53 domain
Open TCP Port: 3333 dec-notes

But when I did a scan with the ShieldsUp! website service, it told me that absolutely no ports were open.

Could you please tell me what this means and if I should take any action? Is there any security threat here? And why does Network Utility and ShieldsUp! give me different results?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

How did you run these scans?

#3 RicochetMaster

RicochetMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

I just clicked on the network utility in the Mac utilities section, put in my IP address and clicked scan.

For the ShieldsUp! one, I did a couple of their port scans.

#4 RicochetMaster

RicochetMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hello? Can anyone help please? I just want to know if there is any security threats with having these ports open and also why Shieldsup! and Network Utility are showing different results.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

What IP did you give it to scan your external or internal? Internal being any of the variations:

192.168.0.0/16
172.16-31.0.0/16
10.0.0.0/8

Or one that is revealed bby going here: http://www.whatismyip.com?

#6 RicochetMaster

RicochetMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

External.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

If you had an internet browser window open (or anything that accesses the internet in the background like VOIP) then port 53 was legitimate and your computer resolved an IP address through your DNS server. Port 3333 is generally assigned to Network Caller ID service (according to Wikipedia anyways). Are you using an internet based telephone caller ID? Using VOIP such as Vonage? If your really suspicious of your the port traffic on your computer use a free program called wireshark it will show you ALL of the port connections your network is currently supporting. You can learn to use wireshark by following the tutorial video's found here

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users