Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does anyone here have an Inspiron 6000 with a working CD drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 warpday

warpday

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi, does anyone here have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a working internal CD drive, the TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462c? You can check this in your device manager.

My registry keys are borked and doing uninstall/reinstalls haven't worked. If you have this model, can you please go into the Registry into here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers
and tell me what the second key says (the one under Default)?

Thank you~

Edited by warpday, 13 April 2011 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

I have this machine - tell me what to do and I will check it for you.

#3 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:24 AM

I have this machine - tell me what to do and I will check it for you.

Hello =)
Can you please open your registry (Start, Run, Regedit), go to this directory, and check out a key for me:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers
I took a screenshot which may make it easier for you to see what I mean. Basically, my key starts with H:, despite that I don't have an H: drive. So I'm curious if yours says the same thing.

Thanks!

#4 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

I'll do it this morning - sorry, I had to go to bed.

#5 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

I get to Autoplay Handlers - then I don't see "User Chosen Execute Handlers". I see "Event Handlers Default Selection"

#6 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

This is what I see:

Posted Image

#7 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

If you need me to do anything else let me know soon - I am going on vacation Saturday.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

What issues are you having with the drive?

If we knew exactly what the problem was its possible that Microsoft might have a FixIT utility that will take care of it for you automatically instead of editing the registry manually.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

If you need me to do anything else let me know soon - I am going on vacation Saturday.

Thanks for your offer~ I was pretty surprised to find out that our registries don't match at all. I ended up going a different route and fixed my registry in the end =) Have a good vacation.

#10 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

What issues are you having with the drive?

If we knew exactly what the problem was its possible that Microsoft might have a FixIT utility that will take care of it for you automatically instead of editing the registry manually.

Hello there~ Thanks for your comment, but I fixed my registry! Through some Googling, I discovered this magical page. A person on a different forum suggested to do this, uninstall the drives, and reboot. My computer reinstalled everything, fixed the registry itself, and now I have working drives =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users