Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless reboot, no post, no beeps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lennybird

lennybird

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hey guys,

I'm going to try to make this a thorough as possible, and hope that you can help me narrow down the bad part. I've spent many hours researching this topic, going through trouble-shooting flow charts, and looking over people in similar predicaments. I'll say now that I feel that I've got it narrowed down to either the CPU, or Motherboard. Here we go.

I built for my brother a computer consisting of the following:

Core i5 quad (Stock HS/F)
2 x 2gb Patriot 1333
Evga 9800GTX+ 512mb
BFG 800 Watt Sli-Compatible (Cannot remember exact model)--this was the first PSU.
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 (Rev. 2.0)

The computer was running fine for about a month since being built. Then, after a storm hit, the computer went into endless reboot cycles, no post, etc. (My brother was at work; when he came home later that evening, it was doing what was described) Power surge right? Well, here's the weird part.

First, he goes and returns his 9800GTX+ at Fry's Electronics for a brand new one. Doesn't change anything. Then he buys a new PSU (this one being a Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W). Nothing. Then he goes into a computer repair shop, who says the motherboard wasn't seated properly (my bad, but I was suspicious--why all of the sudden does it just short and after a storm...? My knowledge of electronics is far inferior to just putting together a computer, though). So he replaces the motherboard with the same make and model, "properly seated," and it turns on!...

... But only for a week (no storms during this period, plus he invested in an expensive surge protector). Now there are a few things to be aware of. First, this is an older house, built in around the 50's-60's (I don't live there). The wiring in the house is apparently pretty peculiar. Both my dad (a handyman), and a hired electrician said something was "strange" with the house's wiring. First, my dad said it was peculiar the house was receiving 3 Phase power (we're from east coast; out here in Arizona, maybe that's standard?). Second, it seemed there were polarity issues with the socket his computer was plugged into. My dad said the socket appeared to be wired with a ground, but voltage readings seemed erratic, and sometimes it looked as if the the ground was acting as the neutral. Again, I know next to nothing on electronics--just relaying info on.

My brother has now bought a laptop, and his girlfriend uses an iMac in a separate room. No issues have arisen with these devices.

So again, the computer turns on--and by turns on, I mean the disc drives spin up, the LED fans turn on, the motherboard pwr light goes on--then it shuts off within 3 seconds. Reboots after another 3-5 seconds, and repeats.

I have also attempted to do the following:

• Breadboard the motherboard
  • Reseat RAM, swap RAM slots, take each RAM out, and take all RAM out - no beeps, same thing.
  • Taken out Video Card - also mixed with the previous tests.
  • Clearing CMOS by removing battery for ~1 minute
  • Removed HS/F, took out processor, and reseated it, and then reapplied Arctic Silver 5 (after using alcohol to remove previous mat.)
  • I have tried unplugging all peripherals--while breadboarded--except for motherboard 24pin power, and HS/F &CPU power. No Beeps without any RAM inserted. Also removed processor 8pin power--No beeps. Yes, speaker is plugged in.
  • Tested computer with yet another PSU I had lying around for kicks (450 watt, but still)--same symptoms.

On an irregular basis, the computer remains on--it does not keep rebooting. There even appears to be hard-drive activity, but no video, no sound, no beeps, nothing else. Again, this rarely happens.

So 2 graphics cards later, 1 mother board later, 1 PSU later, we're stumped. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the RAM, the HDD (?), and the CPU.

My initial thought is that the CPU is the culprit, having never been replaced. But first, why would this system work for a week after replacing the motherboard--then die out again? Can the CPU possibly fry the motherboard in some way, and after some period of time? Alternatively, I've heard no beeps may indicate the motherboard is bad. But again, what caused the second one to go bad in the first place?

If you need any other information, let me know.

Thanks a lot,
-Jake

Edited by lennybird, 13 April 2011 - 10:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Did you try the computer somewhere else other then your brother's house?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Flabum

Flabum

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

My sister had a house like that, continous brown-outs.. surge protectors don't protect against a 80 volt brown-out... fried 5 PSU, 3 MB's many HDD's and everything else including the refridgerator........ sounds like another fried board......

Edited by Flabum, 13 April 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#4 lennybird

lennybird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

Did you try the computer somewhere else other then your brother's house?

Only after there were symptoms from each version of the build. Been testing it here at my house, but not much luck.

My sister had a house like that, continous brown-outs.. surge protectors don't protect against a 80 volt brown-out... fried 5 PSU, 3 MB's many HDD's and everything else including the refridgerator........ sounds like another fried board......

Call me uneducated, but how does a drop in power (had to wiki what a brownout was...) fry a computer system? Not that I don't believe you--it definitely appears obvious that the power coming from the house has something to do with it. And like your situation, the computer isn't the only place he's experiencing peculiarities.

In any case, would you venture to guess that everything on the motherboard is fried, or just the motherboard? In other words, what components probably are okay?

I did test his previous graphics card that he bought in my computer--and it refuses to display video in my comp (pci-e). Haven't tested the one he currently has in the motherboard. Might do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by lennybird, 14 April 2011 - 12:01 AM.

#5 lennybird

lennybird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Still tinkering around with it, trying (apparently helplessly) to get it to boot. I cannot figure out why, one in a while, everything will turn on and remain on, then go off. I took 9800GTX out, and computer booted, turned off, then turned on and remained on (no beeps or anything). Since there's no onboard VGA, I cannot check anything else. Threw video card back in, and nothing.

Again, at this point, I know at least one thing is fried, I'm just trying to narrow it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users