Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a couple uninterruptible power supplies for my desktop and mini-server (which are in different rooms). These darn Spring/Summer thunderstorms keeping making my power blink every week it seems. <_< And now that I'm using a desktop as my primary computing device, I don't want to lose anything important that's open in the event of a power outage. :o

I went through APC's UPS sizing selector, and it seems the APC BE550G 550 VA 330 Watts UPS is enough for my mini-server (here is the case I got, 450W PSU).

I'm thinking my new AMD build might need a bit more juice, though. I don't need to be able to run for like 20 minutes or anything...just long enough to save whatever's open and safely power down.

Is there a simple way to determine how much power my system is using, and consequently how big of a UPS I will need? I don't have a money tree in the back yard, so less than $100 per UPS would be great. :whistle:

Thanks,
kN
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

If you haven't pulled the trigger on that new build, do not get that power supply. Old, inefficient, not a good choice. Same price, much better quality http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139018 A few other choices at that price point if you pay attention to sales.

On UPS purchases, I always go as big as I can afford, within reason. I try to use either APC or Cyberpower (Triplites are nice but usually really expensive for a quality unit). The reason I go bigger than "recommended" is that runtimes are usually exaggerated, and batteries lose capacity over time. Good idea to Google the replacement batteries your UPS needs and find the capacity, and compare that spec when comparing two similar output UPSs. Big battery wins.

I think the UPS you selected will work fine for your needs. I can't see your system/monitor pulling over 220 watts maxxed out. Cyberpower has a similar unit as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102069

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

If you haven't pulled the trigger on that new build, do not get that power supply.

Too late. :whistle: Here's the original topic and here is the problem I've already had. Had thoughts of returning it, but the "refund" was ridiculous. I guess I still can, though, and get this better one along with the UPS's.

And as it turns out, with a promo code, I can get 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101339 for only $4 more than 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-82-715-001-_-Product

This will tell you how much eah of your devices is using, you can figure out the consumption from there.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Your very welcome :)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

Well, they got here today. Decided to go with 2 of this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101339

After charging, I pulled the plug on my mini-server. It lasted about 30 minutes.

My new AMD build lasted about 20 minutes before hibernating.

I'll definitely be glad for these the next time my power goes out or blinks. They'll be a lifesaver. :thumbup2:

Thanks, guys! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users