Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Tools says my disk health is low

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 jaaparker

jaaparker

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

I had the windows restore "pop-ups" about RAM memory and hard drive issues so I followed the steps on the site for malware removal and purchased PC Tools repair mechanic. However, even though I think I removed the "virus" it is still stating that my computer health is at MEDIUM and my disk health is LOW. I don't know how to fix that! I have a HP Pavilion Dv5 Entertainment Laptop-windows vista. I am going to attach the files from the scans I did from the "Before Malware removal" directions. I'm not sure what else I need to do so any help would be great! After reading the scans please let me know if a low disk health is the last of my worries. I may have bigger problems and if so please advise as what I need to do!
I attached the DDS file but I do not know how to "zip-up" the other file. If you need it then please let me know how to do that.
Thanks for your help!Attached File  DDS.txt   26.71KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hello ,
And :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum
. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.

Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.
  • The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen.
  • Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic.
  • The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.
You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

-------------------------------------------------------------
In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem

If you still need help, please include the following in your next reply
  • A detailed description of your problems
  • A new DDS log (don't forget attach.txt)

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 jaaparker

jaaparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:49 PM

Be patient with you? Of course! I am so thankful to hear from you. I will follow your instructions for the download. Oh and my laptop is up and running so I am able to use it. Just not performing at it's best.
Again, thank you for your time

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Okay, thank you for letting me know. I'll wait for the logs.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 jaaparker

jaaparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

I kept getting these messages from windows stating disk health low, RAM memory high and my laptop lost most all my documents and files.
So I went to this website and it stated how to show hidden files as well someone on another post that I read suggested to that person to download PC Tools to fix the problem. So I did that too and it restored my computer to MEDIUM health (from low). Then I continued to read more posts on the website and began following what it said to do. Download Malware program, and I followed all the steps it stated to take BEFORE downloading Malware fix. Then I downloaded the DDS and got the 2 files to post. That leads me to you...
Here is what you asked for, oh and I did run the DDS scan again today and trashed the old ones from the first post.
Attached File  DDS.txt   25.82KB   1 downloads
Also, I hope I created the zip file correctly and attached it. If not please let me know by giving me specific directions because I do not know any other way.
Thank you!!!!
P.S. Sorry it took so long to reply but I was visiting family 8 hours away so I did not have my laptop.

Attached Files

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hi again, lets first go after any malware remnants.

COMBOFIX
---------------
Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Bleepingcomputer
ForoSpyware
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, or if you are running Vista, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\Combofix.txt in your next reply.

regards, Elise

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

regards, Elise

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

This topic has been re-opened at the request of the person who originally posted.

regards, Elise

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hi, please uninstall AVG using AVG remover

regards, Elise

#10 jaaparker

jaaparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

Attached File  ComboFix.txt   252.47KB   1 downloads
I was able to uninstall the AVG. It turned out I had an older version still installed on my computer. Also,once the combofix was finished and the computer rebooted a window popped up and it said : C:\\Windows\system32\GfxUI.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I clicked OK and then the log was created and I responded to you.
Hope this helps.
Also, my windows defender keeps trying to get me to update. Should I go ahead and update or no?

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi again, yes you can update windows defender.

How are things running at this point? Lets also do a rootkit scan.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

regards, Elise

#12 jaaparker

jaaparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

I am trying to save the TDSSKiller.exe to my desktop; however, it does not give that as an option. It only says save file. No option to tell it where to save it. Should I proceed without saving to desktop?

#13 jaaparker

jaaparker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Ok, I just dragged the folder to my desktop. I then ran the scan and it says no infections found. My computer is working better. It is faster. Sometimes when I turn the computer on my wallpaper is gone, black. I will see if that is fixed now too. Do you recommend a virus/malware protection to keep installed? Or is there one that I should regularly scan that I may have already downloaded to fix these issues. I purchased PC Tools Registry Mechanic but I realized that doesn't have everything I need. Plus, it keeps saying that my registry is in medium health and I'm not sure why it is not in good. So in short, what should I frequently do to insure the system is not picking up malware?

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hi again,

I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners for several reasons.

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Your version of Adobe Reader is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Adobe components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Adobe Reader Version X. and save it to your desktop.
  • Uncheck the "Free McAfee Security plan Plus" option or any other Toolbar you are offered
  • Click the download button at the bottom.
  • If you use Internet Explorer and do not wish to install the ActiveX element, simply click on the click here to download link on the next page.
  • Remove all older version of Adobe Reader: Go to Add/remove and uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader, Acrobat Reader and Adobe Acrobat.
    If you are unsure of how to use Add or Remove Programs, the please see this tutorial:How To Remove An Installed Program From Your Computer
  • Then from your desktop double-click on Adobe Reader to install the newest version.
    If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the "Adobe Setup - Welcome" window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
Your Adobe Reader is now up to date!

Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 26 (JDK or JRE).
  • Click the "Download JRE" button at the right.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • Select "Windows x86 Offline" and click on jre-6u26-windows-i586.exe
  • Save it to your desktop
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Uninstall all older versions of Java (any item with Java Runtime Environment, JRE or J2SE in the name).
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Install the newest version by double clicking (run as Administrator for Windows Vista/Seven) the downloaded file.

Please launch Malwarebytes Antimalware, update it and run a full scan. Post me the resulting log.

regards, Elise

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,981 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hi, are you still there?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users