Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Auto Update issue after a Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diegno

Diegno

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

I should start by saying that I just removed XP Total Security trojan/rogue yesterday. A website ran me through some registry keys to delete/change and after that I ran Mbam and BitDefender online scanner to check for infections.

All seems to be better now, except that in my system tray, Windows Security Alerts has a red icon, warning me that AU are turned off. When I try letting that program turn them on, it fails and gives instructions to do so manually. The odd thing is that in the Control Panel, System tab, AU appear to be on.

I'm not sure what to do, or if it's a sign that something is still worng. Any help would be appreciated :)

(I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP3)

Edit: In addition, I receive this message when I visit the Windows manual AU site:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

Edited by Diegno, 14 April 2011 - 05:00 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Diegno

Diegno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

Problem solved!

Microsoft had actually given me an error code on the updates site, which was cleverly hidden in the top right corner. The error code was:

"Error number: 0x80070424"

After seeing this number, I searched through the Microsoft support database and easily found a solution to enable WAU. I just had to reinstall the program. No signs of any virus remaining, and AU has been repaired. My thanks to anyone who considered my problem and apologies if I've wasted your time. :)

#3 nkaufman

nkaufman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Problem solved!

Microsoft had actually given me an error code on the updates site, which was cleverly hidden in the top right corner. The error code was:

"Error number: 0x80070424"

After seeing this number, I searched through the Microsoft support database and easily found a solution to enable WAU. I just had to reinstall the program. No signs of any virus remaining, and AU has been repaired. My thanks to anyone who considered my problem and apologies if I've wasted your time. :)

How did you reinstall WAU? Please let me know as I am in a similar situation..

#4 Diegno

Diegno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

If you're getting the same error code (0x80070424) there are actually a few solutions. I recommend searching support.microsoft.com for help. Just search for your error code.

I don't want to mislead anyone, so try this at your own risk. The solution that worked for me was to locate a 'hidden' folder called inf (you must turn on the 'View hidden files' option) which for me was located in C:\WINDOWS. Locate a file called "au" inside the inf folder and right click, choose Install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users