Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Windows XP on my desktop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bomni

bomni

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hello

I am in need of formatting my desktop computer and I have done a lot of hunting around to get some walk throughs but none have helped me. The reason I wanted format my computer is that it has not been done ever and it is 7 years old and I can not access applications because it states "access denied, please make sure you have admin rights"..or something to that effect. I have recovery console installed but I can not access it from startup because the timer was set a zero seconds, and I have tried to set up the boot sequence to boot from the recovery cd but it does not allow it to run. I have even attempted to remove the recover console walk through on this site but again it thinks I am not the admin.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

System manufacturer and model?

You have a MS Genuine XP CD and appropriate license?

Louis

#3 bomni

bomni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hi

Yes it is the original MS XP. It is a Certified Data AMD 2.8GHZ Biostar P4TSE 865PE motherboard, 2x256 PC3200DDR, 120 GB HD, and MS XP Home Edition. It is not currently connected to the internet.

#4 fireitup11

fireitup11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

What happens when you try and boot from the CD? Have you changed the settings in the BIOS to make the CD ROM first in the boot order?

#5 bomni

bomni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

I did try to change the boot sequence to cdrom first and the CD ROM starts to read and it says booting from disc and then goes onto the Recovery Console Screen.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

You referred to the cd as both a recovery cd and an XP CD. Which is it please? What does the cd label say?

If it's an XP CD there is no way you should boot to the Recovery Console if you boot to the cd.

Edited by Allan, 14 April 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#7 bomni

bomni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

It is the Certified Data Win Xp Home with SP1 recovery cd so I assume it is not the windows cd. I do not have a separate Win XP Cd to begin with. It also states that "This bootable recovery cd will enable you to restore the operating system"

thanks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:58 AM

Okay, well if it's a recovery cd I'm not sure how it's supposed to work - though I would have thought that when you boot to it you'd have some options.

#9 bomni

bomni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Yeah this is what I thought it tries to boot from the CD but then nothing it seems to freeze so I reset my CPU same thing but it can go load XP and everything

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yeah this is what I thought it tries to boot from the CD but then nothing it seems to freeze so I reset my CPU same thing but it can go load XP and everything

i have no idea what you just said.

#11 bomni

bomni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

I put the recovery cd in the cd drive and restart my computer and it detects the boot cd and attempts to boot from the cd but then it starts like nothing has happened so like normal start up on win xp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users