Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peacemak3r

peacemak3r

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

I used to be a hardcore gamer with the PC, but recently toned down and did most of the gaming on consoles. I still do casually game on the PC but not as much. I kind of wanted to have a new build but of course recycle some of the parts from my older build. I also wanted to see if I can get a smaller case, I currently have a full ATX tower and wanted to tone that down to at least a Mid-Tower without toning some performance.

First off, this is my current system:
NVIDIA nForce 750i Motherboard
Corsair 750W PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+
OCZ Platinum 4x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
ASUS Black DVD-ROM
Full ATX Case

I wanted to ditch the Full-ATX tower and move to an at least a Mid-Tower. I'd possibly like to see if I should change my graphics card to something more up to date but keep almost everything else.

Keep in mind with the Mid-Tower case, I'd like something with a bottom mount and a nice wire management feature. Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

This case Should do you well, bottom mounted PSU, mid tower (though its a huge mid tower, but not as big as a full ATX) and it offers cooling on par with most full ATX cases. I use the base version of this case with a crossfire setup, am very happy with it. Its got good wire management, with clips for the wires you need, and enough space between the motherboard tray and the back panel to put any excess wires you dont need out of the way. And upgrading your video card to a newer NVIDIA 460 like this or if you got the money a 560 like this should keep you up to date. Both are mid range cards with directx 11 support, though the 560 is rather pricey, the 460 if your on a tight budget would probably be the preferable choice.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

You can tone up your CPU, RAM and motherboard for better performance or you can stick with them which should be fine but not the best gaming performance you can get out of it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 peacemak3r

peacemak3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:20 AM

Yeah I'm not looking to upgrade to a hardcore type of gaming computer, somewhat of a transition from a gamer to something like just watching videos and streaming from Netflix or something.

Thanks for the input on the cases, are their any more recommendations for cases? I do only plan on running one video card rather then running an SLi that I wanted in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users