Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative Internet connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deuces

Deuces

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hi,
I would like to access the Internet using my desktop computer via a USB air card or wifi card rather then through the network cat 5 cable. The only problem is that I still need to access the network files and folders through the network cable. Is there a way to turn off Internet access completely through the cat 5 connection and get Internet access with the other two methods? I would like the easiest and most efficient method please...one that can be undone if needed. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

You don`t mention your OS but the instructions should be similar.

Go into the Network connections folder, right click on the icon representing the wired\LAN connection and select disable. To make things a bit easier you can have an icon for the wired connection placed in the Taskbar. Then it`s a simple matter of clicking on it to disable\enable it.

But, to access the files\folders after that you would temporarily need to re-enable it.

That is probably the simplest way. I would think others exist but involve a bit more and perhaps third party software.

#3 Deuces

Deuces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Well I guess I was aware of that method. I was hoping to do something slightly more elaborate so that I didn't have to enable/disable each time. It would be nice if the setup ran in the background and was seemless to me. That's why I mentioned disabling just the Internet connectivity of the network cable, but leaving the accessibility to network fee and folders intact.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I would think you could set up something like a VPN. Using your wireless connection and leave the wired disabled.

But it seem`s kind of the long way around. You would be going out on the Internet, only to be routed through your ISP and back to your own LAN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users