Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome vs Firefox - Usability/Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

I'm out fishing for opinions and reactions on Chrome vs. Firefox (latest versions). They both seem to balance out in terms of speed (both have sites where one is faster and the other is slower).

My two biggest concerns are use by novice and security. I'm looking at these in relation to public access computers at my library. We've been running a pre-4 version of Firefox that I either need to upgrade or switch over.

My first thought is that out of the two Firefox can be set up to be the least alien to users with limited computer use. But I know nothing about the strength of security about either in relation to the other (only what each proclaims to be), and my views of usability may be skewed. I have patrons using these computers who range from unable to double-click without moving the mouse to computer proficient.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Although I am a FF user and have been for many years, for your environment I would suggest Chrome.

Then perhaps Sandboxie set to launch every time Chrome is and to delete the sandbox contents every time the browser is closed.

#3 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Sandboxie does look pretty neat, though I think I'm w/out a budget for new software until at least the new fiscal year (and then I know its tangled up in seeing how many of our 10 yr old staff computers we can replace). The joys of public service institutions! Thanks for the suggestion it may come in handy.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

One other option that comes to mind if Sandboxie interests you would be the newest version of Avast.

The two full versions offer a built-in sandbox feature. Depending on what AV you are now running and when it`s Lic. expires, it may be a viable alternative.

#5 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

I love Avast, use it at home and it has held up well. At work we've got Symantec running off the server... plus we've locked down the computers as much as we could and added DeepFreeze. Thank god most patrons panic and ask for help when the fake AV invasions attack rather than clicking on stuff.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

If you are running Deep Freeze then you are in pretty good shape.

Quit an amazing product and ideal for situations such as yours.

I`m assuming your PCs are running IE as the browser. FF with NoScript or perhaps even Opera should stop the fake AV pop-ups.

#7 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

We have both IE and FF accessible through the desktop (no start menu access for patrons). We tried using NoScript on staff computers and got quickly driven crazy with all the help questions we then got from staff, made us a little hesitant to put it on the PACs. I am consistently surprised at how few AV attacks are brought up during patron use *knocks on wood*

DeepFreeze is pretty amazing. Except for when someone somewhere along the lines changes all the log ins to a computer then reboots it frozen... but that's something that my predecessor did not a patron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users