Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Index

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GToledo

GToledo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

The file indexing service is not working. I need this service since my music collection consists of more than 145 thousands songs.
I've tried everything short of reinstalling the ops. Reinstalling the operating system would clean my entire HD.
I also have to external HD, one with 2 tera capacity and another with 1.5 tera capacity.
Is there a way to repair my file indexing service without loosing my progtams?
Attached is a file with system information,
Thank you very much,

Guillermo Toledo

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

You can try a repair install, http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html .

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

Let me see if I've got this right - you have 145,000 songs and they are on the same partition as the system files? Really? Wow.

Okay, let's do this. Before you do anything else, download Macrium Reflect and create an image of your drive to your external drive. Now, no matter what, you have a copy of everything. (If you want to pay for the best disk imaging software, you can get Acronis True Image instead - but Macrium is free).

Now if you want to try the repair install, go ahead. But I've never used Windows Search - and I also have quite a bit of music on my drives - though not as much as you (I have it backed up to 4 different computers and imaged to 3 external drives - I'm NEVER worried about losing it - but hey, that's me :) ). Instead, I use Rocket Retriever (http://rocketretriever.com[b]/). It's a bit dated, but it's instantaneous. And there are newer 3rd party apps that do the same thing - some are probably free. You might want to look into them as an option

I'm not sure why part of the above is in bold - self formatted apparently - but nothing was intended to be emphasized in that last sentence. Just a bug in the formatting somewhere.

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2011 - 08:47 AM.
Removed bold..

#4 GToledo

GToledo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thanks a lot Allan,
Yes creating an image with either your suggested software is the way to go. No, I do not keep my music files on the system drive, I alaways like to leave my C drive with program files only. I have several external drives for my music files, I've put too many hours to loose my music files and a separate Data Base with the authors and rights pertinent ifnformation, I do DJ on an internet radio station.
Your suggested software for locating the files works like a charm except for dragging the file, but I just go to the address provided and and drag the file to my transmit program,
If you want to listen in just google acropolisradio,com ,,,

Thanks for your help,

Guillermo Toledo

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic