Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar has changed, icons missing and windows missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

My laptop battery ran out and it must have shut itself down. When I restarted the following symptoms appeared.

Taskbar:
icons left of the clock disappeared
the taskbar changed from the standard task bar (green start button, blue bar) to a plain gray bar with a gray start button
if I right click on start > properties > taskbar tab > customize - the icons do not match up with the descriptions, for example the yahoo messenger icon has the description "wireless network connection"

My Computer:
If I click Start then right click mycomputer >properties I would expect to see a window with tabs "general, comp name, hardware.... etc" instead nothing appears

My network places > then View my network connections I would expect to see the network connections I have defined. its blank

I can't use my wireless connection because I can't see it to connect to. Other than that all programs seem to be working fine. I get to the internet using a hard LAN connection.

I don't even know where to start. I have read many of the posts regarding taskbar problems but none seem to fit. Any help greatly appreciated
System Information:
I just tried to open the system information icon in the control panel to get the info to put here but nothing happens when I double click it.
I am running XP SP3 I am current on updates, AVG Free (tried uninstalling just in case)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

I would try to do a system restore. Steps to perform that are found HERE
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 regularguy

regularguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Thanks, Baltboy,

I did as you suggested but no go. I restored to 2 days ago and then 8 days ago. In both cases the problem persists. I did want to add a couple of things. I brought up the system in safe mode and realized that the taskbar I am seeing is identical to the taskbar in safe mode. While in safe mode I tried to right click on "my computer" > properties and once again no window. Network connections are also blank.

Open to any suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users