Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Lcd Monitor Only Works On Lowest Setting But?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yybbaa

yybbaa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:55 PM

Bought new Samsung 19 inch LCD flat panel monitor for my Dell computer. The monitor recommends settings of 1280 x 1024 but when I use this setting, some pages don't fill the screen and my icons are so tiny they are practically useless. I have to use the largest font possible. I changed the settings back to 600x800 and all the pages work but now everything is soooo big. My icons on the desktop are the size of quarters and I have adjusted to the smallest size I can find. I have tried about all the other settings and the 600x 800 is the only one where all the sites I visit fill the screen. USA today is one of the sites that won't fill the screen and my home page...Adelphia.
I can live with this but think this monitor is built to use the larger settings and they should work. What do you suppose I am doing wrong?
I have Windows XP professional. My internet services provides me with "Freedom" antivirus, firewall, and popup blocker. Internet Explorer 6.
Would appreciate any suggestions....thanks.
yybbaa
ps..I am not the most savvy computer person on the block..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

um, if by filling the screen you mean the window size,

You have to move the mouse pointer to the corner of the current window you have open, then the mouse pointer will become two arrows pointing in opposite directions. Then, click and hold the left mouse button and drag the mouse outwards, thus making the window larger.

The resolution you have is based on preference. I am comfortable with 1152 by 864 and I have a 19 inch monitor.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:51 AM

the 600x 800 is the only one where all the sites I visit fill the screen.

There are two separate situations here - one is related to your web browsing and the other to your desktop settings.

The monitor will have a "native resolution" which is the one it will work best at and is also the maximum resolution you can use. 1280x1024 is an excellent resolution for a 19" LCD. I'm using 1600x1200 on a CRT with "normal" sized icons and the icons and fonts are quite usable.

Many websites are optimised for 800x600 so when you view them with higher resolution they may for example only spread the text across half of the screen. Your browser window however should occupy the whole screen - if not click the 'Maximise' button. You can change the webpage font size to suit your preference by holding the 'Ctrl' key while moving the mouse wheel or pressing the '+' or '-' keys.

Did you install the drivers that came with your LCD screen? It probably won't make any difference but it's worth a try. Also try updating the drivers for your video card.

Have a look in Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced where there will be a whole bunch of display options (what they are depends on your video card software) one of which may be to put an icon in the system tray. This gives you a virtually one-click resolution change so you could, for example, set up windows for 1280x1024 and click back to 800x600 when you go online. You should not need to do that though.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 30 December 2005 - 02:52 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 yybbaa

yybbaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I did install the driver that came with it but I will look for updates. I was able to reduce the size of the icons.
"Many websites are optimised for 800x600 so when you view them with higher resolution they may for example only spread the text across half of the screen. " That explains some of my problem...the entire page was there but with big blue margins on either side when I use the higher settings.

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

well. Guess I wasn't much help lol.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

Wizdabest - all sensible, considered suggestions are helpful. Thank you.

yybbaa -

the entire page was there but with big blue margins on either side when I use the higher settings.

- I don't recognise that situation. Can you tell us what happens to your browser display in 1280x1024 mode when you come here to BC for example?

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 yybbaa

yybbaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

This particular page at BC fills my screen BUT all writing is soooo tiny ...it looks like the tiny writing you would see on the back of a medicine bottle or something.
And yes, wizdabest, all suggestions were appreciated.
I also went again to USA today page...I see the entire page but it only is as big as about half the page. ...like a picture on a wall.

#8 yybbaa

yybbaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

I tried to increase the font size by the control button and the plus sign and nothing happened...

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:04 PM

Ah, that appears to be in Firefox only (which is the browser I use and recommend). In IE you click on 'View' then 'Text size' and you have a selection of the small...medium...large sort.

Holding the 'Ctrl' key down and turning the scroll wheel on the mouse seems to work in IE but without the same range as in Firefox.

I had a look at www.usatoday.com in both browsers and it only fills half the screen no matter what font size I select. The rest of the browser window is blank (white). That would be an instance where you might want to flip your resolution back to 800x600 to get a better view of that webpage.

hth :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users