Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fast window antivirus 2011

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samrgarcia

samrgarcia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Dear Malware Slayers,

Please help. I run Window 7 (64bit). Yesterday I uploaded a photo to a trusted internet site, but soon after I got a Fast Windows Antivirus 2011 pop up saying I was infected. I knew this was scare ware and immediately unplugged my computer from the internet. I had to plug back in for a few seconds so that MBAM could update the database file, but I unplugged as soon as it was done. Then I ran MBAM and AVG, but neither found any infections. I did some research from another (clean) computer and found a forum post and downloaded, installed and ran the following (while offline); ProcessExplorer (did not find any offending processes); FixExe.reg; RKill; and a new copy of MBAM. I ran each in a specified order. Rkill did not appear to find any culprets. MBAM did not find any infections. After this I plugged back in to the Internet and did not notice any more scareware popups. Everything seems to run fine. I then Ran Full disc scans in AVG and then MBAM again. I also Ran the online ESET scanner too. All came up clean.

Here are the things and changes I did notice. When I go to "computer" in windows explorer, the C drive is now named a random chain of characters. In addition, there are three new folders in the root named with a random chain of characters. In each of these new folders are MRT.exe files (Microsoft Malware removal tool?). I never noticed these files or folders before.

Although I have not notice any performance issues since yesterday, I would really like to know if my machine is clean or if there is a dormant Rootkit inside the laptop. can you help?

Thanks

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TrishyTrish

TrishyTrish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have a user infected with the same virus/spyware "Fast Windows Antivirus 2011", I've searched the site, but couldn't find any removal instructions, this post was the only thing I found, so I'm chiming in to say 'same problem here'.

#3 ESO

ESO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Another "Same Problem Here" post. "Fast Windows Antivirus 2011" on XP, malware managed to get by McAfee SaaS Endpoint. Can't find instructions for manual removal that do not involve a product promotion so would very much appreciate advise on reliable removal method. Thanks!

#4 Matthew Schultz

Matthew Schultz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

I received the same infection earlier today, doing a Google Image Search. I think it goes by various names, including A-Fast Antivirus. This link provided me with some help:

http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/A-Fast_Antivirus_Scam

BleepingComputer also has a removal guide for A-Fast:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-a-fast-antivirus

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users