Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Lock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SonorTommy

SonorTommy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

A friend of mine just bought a Dell E6410 from a friend of his. The BIOS has a password lock (I really don't know why people do this.), his friend, now that a couple of months have gone by doesn't remember what the password is. There is a utility that I did run that works on Dell 6400's but not on the 6410's. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

SonorTommy

P.S., the moniker SonorTommy comes from playing drums and touring in rock bands throughout the 80's. I still have the Sonor Signature drum kit (dubbed the Rolls Royce of hand made drum kits)I used back then, Hence the SonorTommy log.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hello,

There is one solution for that problem and that is: Remove the battery for a short time, let we say 30 seconds, than is the bios empty.
After that, has your friend access to his bios menu.
I talked over one solution, but there are also mobo's they have a jumper on the board and when you remove the jumper and set this on 0, than is the bios also clear, but again, remove the battery for clear the cmos is easier and better.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I would head to http://www.dell.com and look up the service tag number and check the associated documentation on how to remove the password.

#4 Clarke123

Clarke123

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I don't know the relevance, but I (and many others) cannot seem to update the  BIOS on the E6410.

The current BIOS is A16, my machine's is A03!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users