Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with something

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have a Windows 7 machine. A couple days ago one of my kids was on the computer and must have done something while using Firefox and put something malicious on the computer. My daughter told me she was getting error messages. I looked and they were messages saying my hard drive was crashing. But nothing really ever happened with it. A few minutes later, the audio ads started. At random times I will get ads coming through my speakers. Sometimes it sounds like a radio talk show. Just now I got an Advidia or something facial commercial. Now some eyelash product called Almay.

My Libraries disappeared right after I got the error messages regarding the hard drive. Like, if I go to Computer, there is nothing there in Libraries anymore. I can right click and try to restore default libraries but nothing happens. I have run the hardware test from Windows 7 on my HDD and it reports nothing. Other effects of this are that some programs no longer work when I try to run then. For example I take an online class and it requires a virtual lab program that I launch from Firefox and when I try the program just crashes every time. Also, when I search for something on Google, if I click the search result, I am redirected to other pages. I have to right click, copy link location, and then past and go. I tried uninstalling Firefox and installing the newest version, no changes.

I already had Malwarebytes on my PC. I ran it multiple times and it found something the first 3 times but removing the problems it found did nothing. I uninstalled it and installed Ad-Aware, it found nothing but browser tracking cookies or something. I uninstalled it and installed something called RegRun, but it seems you have to pay to see any results from that, idk.

Does anyone know of any other good and free programs to try and narrow this issue down? Anyone seen something similar? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Other info:

I also got these "script errors" that popup on my desktop every hour or so.

#3 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi BeepBeep Richie,

Start here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-repair

#4 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for that link.

The program that kills shady processes did not find anything.
I scanned with Malwarebytes again and it found 3 things, none listed on that page.
The program making my files viewable again worked, thanks!
My browser no longer redirects on search clicks but I still get random audio ads even when nothing is open.
I browsed through the registry and deleted the values it showed on that page.

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

You are welcome. For redirects read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller then rescan with malwarebytes.

#6 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

I am unable to open that. Even renaming it will not work.

Whatever was removed before is apparently back. I don't know if I still get random audio ads since I have had my volume down all day but my browser is redirecting again, I get script error messages too. I don't really know what else to try. MAB does not find anything. Adaware does not find anything.

#7 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi BeepBeepRichie,

Sounds like you need a deeper look http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
If you get stuck on any steps just post what you have here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
Sorry the others didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users