Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Cannot obtain new ip address" on network card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrodgers

mrodgers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hello, hoping for some help.

I can not connect to the internet. The network connection status is "can not obtain new ip address".

History is, I had Google redirect virus. I routinely run malwarebytes and superantispyware on this computer. These get rid of the fake antivirus that I often get (can't convince the wife to quit looking at celebrity mag. stuff.) I have used ComboFix to get rid of viruses before and thus ran it the other night.

Now I can not connect to the internet with the above stated status.

Windows XP
DSL with a Embarq 660 series modem (was the service provider at the time I got DSL.)
Directly connected to the modem from the computer (no wireless, no router.)
onboard network disabled in bios for years due to power surge and use an old pci network card.
ipconfig at the command prompt give this....

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
I have contacted the ISP of which they were no help. Said everything is good on their end.

I am posting on a PC at work since I do not have connection at home. I hope to have my work laptop back (it is being repaired as well at the IT department) to look here but I may not be able to post back until the following day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mkend

mkend

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

You may have to reinstall the driver for your network card. Go to the pc manufacturer website and download it using a functioning computer and save it to a CD or USB stick.
mkend

#3 mrodgers

mrodgers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Ok, never mind since I just reinstalled windows and started my week long journey of reinstalling programs and getting updates. Hate doing this because it takes forever to download all the updates.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

A clean install is a drastic reeolution...but, typically, it eliminates any possible carryover malwaare issues or damage to the O/S files during attempts to remove malware. Thanks for providing your self-resolution, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users