Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Drops When Using A Router


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anjur

anjur

  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

I have several PCs on my home network. I used to have an old linksys wireless router, which I had lots of
problems with (including dropped connection) and I replaced it with a brand new Netgear wireless router.
The connection still drops about 5-10 times a day. This happens on the PC that is directly plugged into the
router, not to the ones that are connected wirelessly (those PCs are now off). If I make the connection
directly to the PC from the cable modem, the problem disappears.
The simplest way I found to fix this is:
1. Disconnect the power to the router, and connect it again
2. Click on Repair Connections in my connections

This works 80% of the times, the remaining 20% I get a message about not being able
to renew the IP - then I repeat the process and it usually works.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

  • Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Location:near Sydney, Australia
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

Make and model number of the router and the cable modem?
Who's your ISP?

Edit: Are you saying the wireless connected PC's did not experience drop outs when the directly connected one did?

Run some ping tests:
You need to know the IP address of the internet gateway/router. Then do Start>Run and type cmd to open a command window.

At the prompt type ipconfig this will show you your own address and should show you the gateway address.

At the prompt type ping -l 256 -w 10 <ip address> where obviously <ip address> is replaced by the gateway address you found above and "-l" is minus lower case L.

If you experience packet losses or lengthy delays (50ms or more) then -
Buy a brand new Cat5E patch cable to use between the PC and the router. Replace the Ethernet card in the PC.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 December 2005 - 11:02 PM.


Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

    Bleepin' cat's meow


  • Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Baton Rouge, La.
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

Have your Cable ISP check the sevice from the house/apartment to the pole. If the squirls have been chewing on it (and I am sure they have ) you will have a degraded signal They have a mete they can check it with (or they should).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users