Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Processor Utilization

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlacroix

jlacroix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hey All,

I have a laptop running XP sp1 that is having an odd problem. Every once in a while, the processer utilization will soar to between 98% and 100%. It happens on different applications (a tax accounting package and an advanced calculator to this point). There isn't any predicting when it happens.

Of course, the machine runs extremely slowly and running any other type of application at this time is pointless.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:51 PM

How long does this last for?

Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pslist.shtml and download pslist.exe

Save it to c:\pslist

Next time this happens, click on start, then run, and type cmd and press ok.

Type cd \pslist and press enter

Type pslist.exe > pslist.txt and press enter

Type notepad pslist.txt and press enter.

Copy and paste the contents of the notepad into a post here.

Thanks

#3 jlacroix

jlacroix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:01 PM

This lasts until I either stop the task or shutdown. My user typically ends the task and works on something else.

I will download plist and do the tasks asked.

Thanks,
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users