Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

constant 50%+ RAM usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OAlmostO

OAlmostO

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a HP Mini 110-3110 (N455, 250GB HDD, 1GB RAM) which is running Windows 7 Starter. The computer was loaded with programs I did not need/want so after removing them I have managed to get the number of processes running down to 40 (which still seems a lot compared to the 28 on my desktop): it was running 83. However, the amount of RAM being used is still 50%+ (at the minute with only this open it is at 591MB or 58%).

I am regrettably not as computer savvy as I possibly should be so I am not sure what is going on, although I am pretty sure it should not be using that much memory when doing so little. CPU usage is fairly low but erratic: ~10-40%, mainly due to Google Chrome from what I see in Task Manger. I have attached a HijackThis log: although it did mention that the program could not access host files.

EDIT: I removed HJT log, no evidence of malware issue...problems seems to be resolved ~ Hamluis.

If anyone could give me a few pointers I would appreciate it.

Thanks

P.S. I hope this is in the right forum section.

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2011 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

Are you having any problems with the computer? If not, don't worry about how much ram is being utilized... The more ram being used, the more efficiently the system is managing the memory.

#3 OAlmostO

OAlmostO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the advice, didn't know that.

No problems either, unless you count not meeting the expected lifespan of a battery charge by around two hours (browsing the web, some light downloads and Word use). That's what led me to think all the RAM usage was draining the power.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Thanks for the help.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

RAM usage has no direct bearing on battery usage.

Edited by Allan, 13 April 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#5 OAlmostO

OAlmostO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks again

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

Sure thing.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

IMHO Windows 7 uses ram very wisely. I you want to see what is being used and how much type in resmon in the search. It all depends what you are running on your system at any particular time. Spend some time giving it a good look. The more ram your system uses the fewer time your system is going to the hard drive. Hard drive are slow compared to ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users