Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot view hidden files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

I've got a quirky little issue on my XP Home SP3 machine that's been going on for a couple of years now. I've been working around it easily enough when necessary, but I thought I might as well ask the awesome BC people and see if there's an answer.

I'm unable to view hidden files even though Folder Options is set to view them. Files/Folders such as C:/Documents and Settings/user/Application Data
I know the folder is there because I can manually type in the entire folder name if I need access to it (such as when setting up my backups to backup my browser profile or emails from my email client). I can manually navigate to the file/folder by typing in the entire name of it, but I can't see it when navigating using Windows.

Any ideas why my hidden folders stay hidden even though the "show hidden files" option is checked in Folder Options?
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Is "Display the Contents of Systems Folders" also checked?

And is "Hide Protected Operating System Files" Unchecked?

Edited by Allan, 13 April 2011 - 07:37 AM.

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yes to both. By every setting I can find, I should be able to view hidden folders.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Well, if those three settings are checked / unchecked as you say, there is no reason you shouldn't see the hidden files. Have you tried an alternate file viewer (an Explorer replacement) such as these: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/30/featured/7-best-free-windows-explorer-alternative.html

I use Directory Opus. It's expensive, but outstanding (http://www.gpsoft.com.au/)

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

I can view them with no problems with Free Commander. It never crossed my mind to use something other than Windows Explorer. Thanks, Allan. Any guess as to why I can't view hidden files using explorer? This all started about 2 years ago after I did a full wipe and reinstall of XP. I noticed a couple of months after the reinstall that I couldn't view hidden files no matter what I did.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

I really have no idea. If that's the only anomaly after the reinstall, it's odd. Anyway, there's really no need to every use Windows Explorer again so hopefully you're all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users