Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

direct tv, is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Annougsbouh

Annougsbouh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hi guys just would like a review on direct tv is it worth it? etc thanks.
Posted ImagePosted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

IMO. Direct is not.
But if your only option due to location is satellite, then Dish is.

Have had both.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 April 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#3 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

I would say DIRECTV is very much worth it!!!

I have DTV and cable TV and i prefer DTV due to better equip,better picture,etc :)

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Has DTV added BBCAmerica yet?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yes
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have had dish and currently have direct tv. I liked the menus better on dish because they showed the program dates where you would know if it was new or not. Direct tv just shows the year the show was made so you don't know if it's new or not unless you remember a old program from it's description. Dish also had a record option to stop recording a minute or more before it's stop time and direct tv does not have that which sometimes causes recording conflicts where you can not record another show afterward in certain situations.

What I really don't like about direct tv is a lot of shows do not air on time where you miss the middle/end of a show if it's recording. I absolutely hate their remotes that have the switch button that has to be toggled from sat to tv to power them on and off so I'd recommend their big button remote that has separate buttons for them. I have always had a lot of errors with my direct tv dvdr that was supposedly new at the time but I suspect it was a refurb because of all the problems, more so than I had with dish which had dvdr errors too. The worst thing about dish by far was their customer service. It was horrible and they were constantly screwing up my bills and it always took several phone calls to get things straightened out. Direct tv has good customer service and I've never had a problem with the bills so I'm not on the phone with them incessantly like dish.

I dont know, maybe direct tv's new dvdr's may have better menus without all the errors of their older units but maybe they're not any better either so I'm looking into cable now since it would be cheaper and they have all my channels and current recording abilities. I don't care about hd tv so that's not a concern switching to cable.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

Direct tv just shows the year the show was made so you don't know if it's new or not unless you remember a old program from it's description.

When in the program menu, click the INFO button.
Under Watch Now:, at the top, it lists the First Aired: date.

I've been with Direct-TV for 14+ years.
I've been using their DVR for a couple of years (when I upgraded to HD), and have never had any problems with it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

My main dislike with Direct was two fold.

Not caring about HD, was not available at the time, there prices were higher.
I had it for about 4 years. Have been with Dish for about 3. On a yearly average I had far more weather related outages with Direct. Very few with Dish.

Really unsure as to why.

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

I use a good antenna for over-the-air digital TV. I already don't have time to watch anything, and when I do have time there's Hulu and Netflix. The only other factor I can think of would be sports, but fortunately, I'm not a sports fan!

So, to me, not worth it. :wink:

#10 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

TG, all it shows is the year for me. It does not show the first aired date. I do not have the hd dvr. Maybe the newer hd unit is made better but this unit has been nothing but aggravation. I just signed on with sudden link. I got the tv/internet package and I'm excited to finally get rid of this error prone dvr. I've been on 56k since the late 90's so I'm looking forward to the 1.5mb p/s upgrade with them too.

Thunder in my case direct tv has less rain outages than dish had for me. Weird.

Has anyone ever tried to copy a recorded show from their dvr to their usb flash drive by plugging it into the back of the dvr in the usb port? I never have. I wonder if shows could be transferred to the computer or to other dvr brands like sudden link compatibly since their units have usb ports too. Direct tv and sudden link do not know.

Edited by M332, 21 April 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

I have tried on Dish but the receiver\DVR reports an unrecognized device after inserting the flash drive.

What I have not tried is using the proper USB cable to connect a PC\lap top to the DVR to see if it will recognize the hdd in it.
Seem`s I read somewhere that some one did and was able to pull the content but the format was unknown and unplayable. < Not swearing to it though. <_<

#12 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Sounds about right. I haven't tried mine yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users