Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry file failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

May I please request your most kind help with this recent bootup problem with my PC:

The PC was probably not shutdown correctly and now it does not boot up. The error message is STOP c0000218{Registry file failure} hive (file) missing System root\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternative. Then it proceeds to dump physical memory to disk. This goes on regardless of the Setup Menu chosen for the start up of the Windows XP Home Operating System. I've tried setup from the Windows CD. The attempted Repair installation of Windows XP cannot be used as it keeps asking for an Administrator password, although none was ever entered for any of the user accounts. The required Repair installation does not take place consequently, and on exiting this setup, the previous STOP error message. c0000218, repeats endlessly.
Thank you for your time and kind help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

You should never be asked for any sort of password when doing a repair installation. How are you doing it?

Also, you can do the following - note that you will probably have to reinstall most of your applications afterward:

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software software.old
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

C0000218 Registry File Failure - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Error Message When You Install Windows XP STOP c0000218 {Registry File Failure} - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

Louis

#4 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for this most kind help. You are right about the Administrator password. At the recovery console, it asked, but I hit <ENTER> and was taken to the <C:\WINDOWS> prompt from where chkdsk /r was run. After rebooting from the hard disk, without the Windows CD, the PC is now back to its working order. Thanks again to you all for this much appreciated and useful, great help. Kind regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users