Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kal-EL

Kal-EL

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

I have an ext. hdd set aside for videos. It has 50 gigs free on it. I try to copy and past a 5.5 gig video and it says "not enough room", but i can paste like 10 gigs of stuff as long as the items are each around 1 gig or less. I'm thinking it's something that could possible be changed in a setting somewhere, but i can't figure it out. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

What file system is the external drive NTFS or FAT32 or something else? If it's FAT there are file size limitations which may be the problem. (4GB for FAT32 for example.)

Otherwise it may be a fragmentation problem - run a defrag on the drive and see if that helps.
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter - select the correct hard drive.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Kal-EL

Kal-EL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

that's it, it's fat32, and the file is 5 gb. Is there anyway to change taht?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:51 AM

I don't think so, but others may know of a solution.

My only suggestion would be to make an NTFS partition in the free space on that drive and copy the file there. You would need a Partition utility such as Digital Dolly to allow you to do this.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 30 December 2005 - 12:53 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users