Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Misclicked a link on phone, have a question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi all.

Was on Twitter earlier and noticed I had an @reply, and it was a bit.ly link, had a momentary leave of my senses and clicked it.

Brought me to a white page with a large rainbow graphic "Thank You" with the text: "thank u for signing up we will contact u later with the details of who can see your account" (url something like w w w.best of the show.info/twitter=)

Or... Something like that.

Viruses I don't believe are a concern. I was on my phone, which isn't even a smartphone (no apps, cant even load a lot of sites due to not enough memory, no java/etc)

Had my password changed on a safe cpmputer, no concerns there.

Checked the twitter of the person and noticed they had sent the link to a dozen or more other people. Link seemed lead to the same page, logged in or not, if it matters.

Questions are
Have I covered all my bases? Is there anything else I should be concerned over? Did I actually sign up for spam or something like that or was that just a bullcrap line and the site was just to send out malware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm...I don't know if it signed you up for spam or not. I mean, if a particular person wanted to spam users X, Y, and Z, they would just have to @reply them all the time or something. Just being on Twitter makes you susceptible to that. I don't know if "Twitter spam lists" exist or not (it's certainly possible).

As for the site, it's impossible to say whether it hosted malicious content or not without checking it out myself.

For future reference, you can check the location (aka "long link") of a bit.ly link by adding a plus (+) to the end (example: http://bit.ly/900913+).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

Oh, I did not know that. The + thing sounds rather useful, thank you.

I was mostly just asking to make sure there wasn't something else I should do above changing my password and such.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

Nah, I think you should be okay.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web