Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Showdown 2K11

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laser2191

laser2191

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Howdy,

I really hope I didn't just over look this topic thread. If I did, I'm sorry please dont hurt me... Much anyway..

Okay, here is the skinny on the situation. I work for a company that has a contract with one of the school district's in my state. Im the only dedicated tech guy in the parish 5 days a week all year. I am responsible for some 2200 computers, 30ish servers and what not. Currently, we (the school district) have Light Speed Security Systems as our content filter and antivirus. The contract runs out shortly, and I have been asked to make a short presentation to my bosses about which of the following they should purchase for their AV software.

Here are the requirements and the three programs we are looking at.

1) Must be compatible for Windows Xp-7.
2) Uses MINIMAL system resources as many of the machines are getting up there in age.
3) Preferably available in an MSI format for AD Domain Deployment.
4) Central Management
5) Active Scanning on removable drives to prevent USB based infections
6) Would Like a Web Scanner
7) Server Module Available
8) Reasonably Priced

The Three we are looking at are Avast(Pro) With Server, AVG(Pro) with Server, and Symantec End Point

I'm leaning toward Avast because Ive never seen it compromised, its pretty light on system resources, active scanners, and central mgmt. I dont like AVG because I cant use Combofix on the machines because AVG targets Combofix, which is a major life saver for me. My company is pushing Symantec, but there is no central mgmt,no individual server module, and it was just compromised the other day for the w32.Qak.bot or qbot viruses.

Does anyone have any suggestions, stories, recommendation on other programs, other things I should be looking for in terms of use, etc.

I appreciate all the help in advance.

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

I'd recommend Avast out of those three. It's cheaper than some other products and has better support, and it has a really good heuristics scan. Also compared to most other AVs it has a limited impact on system resources.

I'd recommend Comodo, as it has one of the best firewalls I've ever seen. However, the controls for it are quite complicated, and it would seem better for personal use than for a whole server.

I might recommend Eset's Nod32. But I've never used it myself, it's just been recommended to me allot while I've been here. Their online scanner did help me out of a jam once though.

Symantec products don't seem far to bad. But I can still attest to them eating allot of system resources, as I used to use it a few years ago and from what I've heard they haven't changed.

AVG is no longer recommended by the admins on this site, due to their support of P2P downloads. Frankly I've been using it for a year and a half on one of my computers here, and it's always been a pain, taking up resources and showing false positives. On top of which it's one of the few AVs now that doesn't have a support forum, leaving you to resort to phone or live chat support from an outsourced country.

Just giving my 2 cents. Doubt I really helped much. :thumbup2:

Edited by VicVegas, 12 April 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#3 laser2191

laser2191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

That was all excellent advise. I tend to agree with the no AVG thing. I have heard about NOD32, but like you have never used it. Thank!

#4 Alanwh

Alanwh

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

I agree with VicVagas. AVG was good back-in-the-day... It has become a resource hog lately and is very hard to deal with at times, hard to uninstall impossible to suspend. Avast has gotten better and uses less resources.

My 2 cents

Alan

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

One suggestion should you choose to go with Avast.

Choose a Custom install. Avast, perhaps the others, can be configured to each machine and it`s usage by including\leaving out particular shields when being installed.

Example. If Instant Messaging and or P2P are not a factor on the PCs then do not install those particular shields. Makes for a smaller liter running install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users