Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple File Sharing Problem on USB External Disk

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 confusedExpert

confusedExpert

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hello All,

I'm having a strange problem with a USB external hard disk when connected to various systems running XP PRO SP3. It's strange enough that I cannot find anything like it discussed on the web.

I should explain that one of these systems recently had a strange problem that I resolved by running "sfc /scannow". Before resolving that problem however, I used that machine and 'Beyond Compare' (a great utility program) to copy a bunch of files to a folder and its subfolders on the external hard drive (which I usually use as a backup device). After safely removing the device, I connected it to a different machine to copy the files. To my chagrin, the files were not visible using 'Beyond Compare' or 'Windows Explorer'.

So I reconnected to the original machine and sure enough the files were there. I double checked and both machines were set to use simple file sharing. I installed a utility that enables me to view and manipulate the file and folder security settings without turning off simple file sharing and entering safe mode. I tried some tinkering with the security settings on the external and so far all I've accomplished is to go backwards. Now 'Windows Explorer' on the original machine cannot see one of the subfolders on the external. 'Beyond Compare' can. I've inspected the security settings on the relevant files and folders and have as yet to identify any substantive differences except for the order of the listed rules which I don't think I can manipulate.

I'd like to repair this using a non-simple file sharing utility on the external disk. Presumably I'd learn something in the process.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users