Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TextEdit as text editor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

If you choose Format > Make Plain Text in TextEdit, it works as a text editor, right?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

I don't use OSX and can't find a definitive answer to your question. But I found this list: 10 Versatile Text Editors for OS X

Some of them are free, so, no harm no foul trying them.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

TextEdit is still a text editor regardless of whether you choose that setting or not.

"Make Plain Text" just takes away the Rich Text formatting that is available by default (spacing, centering, lists, etc), giving you essentially the same experience as Notepad in Windows.

If you don't change anything, TextEdit is analogous to WordPad in Windows (with Rich Text formatting).

Does that answer your question?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Animal & keyboardNinja,

I meant 'text editor' as something you could write code with - maybe not the right term. I'm trying to learn how to do some basic programming - did a few things cookbook-style w/ my pc's using notepad. My understanding was one didn't want any of the format code included that using wordpad or word might result in when writing code. There was some article/example of a code-type thing on mac I was reading where they said "using a text editor" and I wondered what one used on a mac. I thought maybe TextEdit in 'Make Plain Text' would = notepad.

I'm at too basic a level to worry about advanced features like automatic bracket pairing and "project management features". Actually, I pretty much have to start over because I've forgotten what I've read in my VisualBasic for beginners and my AppleScript learning series book.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Oh, if you're wanting a source code editor, TextWrangler is the best Notepad++ substitute I've found for Mac.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Thanks keyboardNinja,

Animal provided a link to several text editors, including TextWrangler. I read about it - didn't understand a lot of its features - and downloaded it. Probably be awhile before I use it for any code writing - if I ever get that far. I'll see if any of its other features are things I can use.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users