Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Chipaway Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 northern2011

northern2011

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

This is my first time posting here, and I have searched all the posts in relation to the Trend Chipaway virus, to no avail. When I boot I get the red screen that a virus has been found in bios, I disabled the Trend Bios antivirus to disable the screen temporarily so I can at least operate the computer. I have successfully rid two other virus, but this one keep being reported by MBR: PhysicalDrive0 which avast will not remove.

My mother board is ASUS a7A266 Rev 1.10
Some posts are referring to flashing the bios, and other referring to the program Combofix.

Both are not definitely a newbies task without some assistance, is there anyone that can assist in this daunting endevour.

Northern BC 2011

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cookmiester

cookmiester

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Hello northern! I will be happy to assist you in this what could be a severe case. Your avast detects a MBR virus.

MBR is the Master Boot Record. This contains all info on which OS to boot, the hard drive it is installed in, stuff like that.

Avast may not be removing it, but quarantining it so it will not delete anything. I would like you to do the following:

Please download Malware-Bytes Anti Malware: http://dl.betanews.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe

Install it and update it, then, run a full scan, and post back the log file when the scan is completed

Cookmiester

#3 wee-lamm

wee-lamm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

Northern, Chip-away by Trend Micro is a board level protection. You certainly should not be trying to remove it.

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/m1647/a7a266/a7a266-104.pdf shows that Chipaway is part of the hardware installed on your Mainboard.

I suspect you have recently tried to flash your bios?

What was the last thing you did to your system prior to receiving this alert?

No offense to cookmiester, but it may improve your advice if you research the product before presuming to know the answer. Your course of action would not remove any malware and could potentially put the client machine at risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users