Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing a post in Slow CPU, GPU Artifacts, Ludicrious heat, and a non-functional touchscreen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Multiverse Labyrinth

Multiverse Labyrinth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

I bought this laptop about 8 months ago. It's still under warranty, but I'd like to have an accurate answer of what is wrong.

Occasional I had a problem where window minimization with Aero would be really, but after a reboot it would be fine. That was until one day a reboot didn't solve the problem. Games would run slow. The FPS would be fine, but all the timing determined by the CPU would be really slow. Music playback was also be fine, but if a song would loop in a game since the timer (or whatever) is slow the loop would have a gap of silence after repeating the audio playback. After a reformat this lag still happened, as well as loading the system menus and BIOS screens taking about 1-2 seconds every frame render. This stopped for a couple weeks after putting it into my bag and heading off to class, but recently after putting my laptop in my bag again it has started again.
Everything appears to check out fine according to speccy.
http://i.imgur.com/C9NMZ.png

Occasionally my GPU will have severe artifacts all over the screen. It has no correlation to the GPU's temperature, but often happens when I watching movies, and playing certain games. Also the performance is simply not as good. When I first got this I was able to run Starcraft 2 at around 40fps with medium-high settings at 1080p. Now I can only get a decent FPS at around 720p with medium settings.

I have a cooling pad for my laptop. Without it on a flat table the CPU will idle at around 70-75C and playing a games it can get well over 90C (until it shut off). The was originally no problem with the cooling, but the heating problem happened before any GPU or CPU problems, and after about 2-3 over heats I bought a cooling pad.

My laptop also came with a touchscreen. It has essentially worked very poorly ever since I got it. It was perfectly receptive when it worked, but it often disconnects spontaneously and sometimes repeatedly. Occasionally it won't connect at all for weeks, and sometimes it'll pop up an error from the taskbar saying "this USB device is unrecognized".

I attributed some of these problems to a faulty hard drive I had, but had gotten replaces. It honestly feels like they built me a laptop out of the faulty parts bin. I think these problems could be attributed to the battery or it's connection being faulty (which would suck because that's under a separate warranty that expired), or that these problems are from individually faulty part, or even a combination of both.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

It could be any number of things, I would hazard a guess to being either power related or motherboard related. In any case, Im pretty sure there is a hardware issue, and I would advise using your warranty-trying to fix it yourself could void said warranty. Keep in mind, in any electronics manufacturer, even with the best, there is a certain percentage that comes out of the factory defective, its a fact of life. That is why they come with warranties. Yes, its a pain when the computers we spend lots of money on don't work, but if the warranty is there you should use it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

I would also assume there is some dust clogged in the cpu fan and heatsink which might lead to the GPU overheating. But since you are still warranty you should let the manufacturer check it out and hopefully clean it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users