Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Looks Fine But No Response

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

OK, first i would like to inturduce myself, hi im tyler, now im going to beg to anybody out there for help!

My computer, a emachines running win xp home, norton antivirus, and Spy Catcher Pro, no longer works, It starts up fine i logon as alway, the desktop photo, along with all my icons show up. Then the taskbar's outline shows up, and then "Start" and the clock after that nothing works! Everything but the task manager and the screen saver fail to respond. can anybody dignous what this is? is it a virus? please help!

Tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:42 PM

Ok i should day im not very sure what that is could u explain how i would go about doing that? im not very...oh how do i say this...tech smart...lol, if you could explain that would be awesome! :thumbsup:
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

Went you turn on your computer start tapping F8. At the Boot Menu select Safe Made.

#5 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

Ok im in "Safe Mode" should i login under "Administrator" or "Tyler"?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

Always admin when you are running antivirus or antispyware. Are you in Safe Mode or Safe Mode w\ networking?

#7 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

in just regular safe mode, after i log into admin should i run norton?

#8 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

Ok right now it has scanned 85,000 files, i believe there are somewhere around 109,000 or so, no viruses yet either.... any other ideas on what to do?

#9 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Ok, lol i was way off im on file 155,000 woops anyways no virus yet

#10 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

Scan Complete:

Summary............................................................................No Threats Found

.............Files..............Master Boot Record.........Boot Record
Scanned:..163,392............................... 1........................................1
Detected:......0.....................................0........................................0
Repaired:......0.....................................0........................................0
Quaranined:..0......................................-........................................-
Deleted:........0.....................................-.........................................-
Excluded:......0.....................................-.........................................-

Now what? any ideas?

Tyler

Edited by TylerMN, 29 December 2005 - 10:31 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Have your XP installation CD handy in case it asks for it. If it does ask for it, visit Windows Update immediately afterward to ensure that it hasn't messed up your update status.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

It says:

"Windows cannot find 'SFC.EXE/SCANNOW'.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:45 PM

Not good - try this:
Go to Start...Run...and type in "C:\Windows\system32\SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Have your XP installation CD handy in case it asks for it. If it does ask for it, visit Windows Update immediately afterward to ensure that it hasn't messed up your update status.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

Same error shows, i found the SFC.EXE file should i just click and run that?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

DON'T CLICK ON IT!!!!

I'll post more in a few seconds!

Edited by usasma, 29 December 2005 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users