Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing A Lot!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ocda 'Nadamee

Ocda 'Nadamee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

My computer freezes at random times and I can't figure out why. I have found no connection between it freezing and the amount of RAM used. I just reformatted the hard drive and it freezes less now, but it still happens. What is the cause of this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hi Ocda 'Nadamee,

Check to make sure all is well with the cooling fans in your system. Take the cover off and power the computer on. Make sure all fans are turning free. Also remove any dust that maybe blocking ports on your power supply and areas inside. Please use canned air if dust removal is needed. (Air compressors have moisture in their air, and the hose from a vacuum can static zap components.

As always, becareful when working around powered on electronics. Never touch anything inside without first grounding yourself to the case and unplugging the system.

Let's try that first,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Ocda 'Nadamee

Ocda 'Nadamee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

I already have. I have cleaned it several times, installed an extra fan and a new CPU fan. There was no improvement.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

What is going on when it freezes? Are you in any particular program? I notice you mentioned RAM... have you changed any hardware? What I am looking for now is cause and effect...

Try starting your computer up is safe mode too. Let see if that affects its behavor.

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Ocda 'Nadamee

Ocda 'Nadamee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

There is no pattern to how it freezes. It will just stop working abruptly. The only thing that I have been able to figure out is that it freezes less when there is less on the hard drive.

RAM 512
Hard drive 80gigs

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:14 PM

Try booting in safe mode and see if that helps. Also I am going to give a link to a post from Leurgy on hard drive manufacturers. They have diagnostics available. Run the diags and see if the hard drive is having issues.

manufacturer diagnostics

#7 mjc

mjc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:35 AM

you might need to reaply thermal compound to your cpu.

#8 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

Hello:

The two most common reasons for computer lock -ups and auto shutdowns are heat and voltage instability

three things to do:

1) install sandra lite (free) to monitor your system temps and system voltages and cpu temps

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html once you have downloaded the program >>> copy and paste your system voltages and temps in here for evaluation

take some recordings right after a fresh reboot >>> record -copy-paste the results in here
then also a "working" test >>>run a system defrag-anti virus scanner-spyware scanner - play some music files all the same time after 15 minutes of multi tasking take another system recording

2) run memtest86.com (free) run it to check memory errors >>> run for at least wo hours

3) give us complete system specs of your computer and PSU size and maker as well >>> chances are your PSU is a dud cheap generic PSU's put out erratic unstable voltages >>> when the sensitive compoents such as motherboard and cpu get fed voltages that are more erratic than their tollerance then they produce an autoshutdown to save themselves if your PSU is a case combo deal 85% of the time those PSU's are junk
remember if the voltage supplied by the PSU is lower than its needed output that produces a low voltage situtation which makes components heat up big time >>>> auto shutdown

low amperage on the 12V rails will cause an auto restart >>> if your system needs 16amps to run and youre system only puts out 15amps >>> then you will get an auto restart

Good quality PSU's are Enermax and Antec line right now the best deal going on the market that balances best quality with lowest dollars is the Antec SP-500 for $68.00 I have not seen a high quality PSU for any less money yet ????

The PSU is an ultra important componet of a stable computer system >>>> yet it seldoms gets the quality power plant it needs to operate the system properly >>>> because a high quality $$$$ PSU will not make your system run faster, or prettier or video games clearer so people cut corners on the PSU spec >>>> but a bad PSU will bring your system to its knees

good luck and let us know the results of your monitoring

regards

joe

Edited by linderman, 31 December 2005 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users