Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Install Failure

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

Hi, can anyone help me out here. This:

Posted Image

has failed to install a couple of times. Anyone know what it is and whether or not I need it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

What are we looking at?

#3 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

An extract from Monday's Reliability & Performance Monitor. The same entry appeared on Sunday also.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

Why are you even looking at that? Are you experiencing any problems with your computer?

#5 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Are you experiencing any problems with your computer?

Yes. My SAS 'Stops Working' every other day and I am looking for a reason why.

Edited by geologist, 13 April 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#6 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hi, can anyone help me out here. This:

Posted Image

has failed to install a couple of times. Anyone know what it is and whether or not I need it?

I am also now interested in what that particular piece of software ie the Driver, is all about.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Is SAS - Super AntiSpyware or something else?

Did you recently reinstall your OS? Look in Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

#8 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

Is SAS - Super AntiSpyware...........Yes

Did you recently reinstall your OS? Look in Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Thank you for your reply. No didn't reinstall OS recently and yes, there is a yellow symbol in Device manager;

Posted Image

Have never accessed Device Manager before and so have no idea what the yellow symbol means.
PS Superantispyware has just stopped working again. Could there be a connection?

Edited by geologist, 14 April 2011 - 08:57 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

There shouldn't be any connection at all between the two, but the fact that SAS isn't working could be indicative of other problems. I suggest you start by running a full system scan with both your anti virus utility AND with MalwareBytes.

Also, go to the website of your computer manufacturer and look for the chipset driver for your system. Then download and install it. Let's see what happens.

Also, do not let Windows Update download and install hardware updates or drivers. These should always be obtained by you from the OEM websites. This may or may not be a contributing factor

#10 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hi Allan and thank you for your super quick reply. My son has just told me that he couldn't find his phone charger and was charging it up via the computer. After the charges, he hid not remove the usb plug and cable and wondered if their presence at startup could be the source of the yellow symbol warning.
Regarding the SAS problem, I have reported this and am awaiting a reply from SAS tech support.
Edit: Am about to launch 3 scans with sas pro, avast pro and mbam.

Edited by geologist, 14 April 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

It is very likely that is indeed the issue.

#12 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hi there!

1. Please have your son connect the mobile device back to your PC, via the USB cable, let Windows reconfigure the mobile device, install the default driver, after which he may use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option to remove the device.

2. If the problem persists, disconnect all USB devices, select the "USB Mass Storage Device" option in the Device Manager, right-click, choose Uninstall and restart your computer.

At the end of it, the problem should have disappeared.

In regards to SAS, have you tried reinstalling the software, by downloading the latest version from their website?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 14 April 2011 - 10:10 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#13 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi there!

1. Please have your son connect the mobile device back to your PC, via the USB cable, let Windows reconfigure the mobile device, install the default driver, after which he may use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option to remove the device...........actually used this to remove the mobile lead from the computer.
2. If the problem persists, disconnect all USB devices, select the "USB Mass Storage Device" option in the Device Manager, right-click, choose Uninstall and restart your computer...........will do, if the problem persists.In regards to SAS, have you tried reinstalling the software, by downloading the latest version from their website?..........Yes, 3 times in the past 10 days.

Scanned with Avast paid for version and no infections found. Will scan with mbam when this reply is posted.
Edit 2: All 3 scans now completed and no problems found.

Edited by geologist, 14 April 2011 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users