Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost almost everything from HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zordancica

zordancica

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

Hi

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit (6.1.7601)

External HD Disk drive
Name WDC WD4000AAJS-00TKA USB Device
Media Type External hard disk media
Capacity 400GB
Interface Type USB
Partitions 1
Total Cylinders 48641
Total Heads 255
Total Sectors 781417665
Total Tracks 12403455
Tracks Per Cylinder 255
Sectors Per Track 512
Bytes Per Sector 63
S.M.A.R.T Support Yes

Last week I was trying to backup some files to External HD, because of some editing that is due in three days from now. I have spent that week using Tune Up Utilities, System Mechanic, Hdd regenerator, CheckDisc Gui, Advanced System Care, checkdisk, WinDlg, Perfect Disc, PDtt (or something like that) and many other trying to fix some error that was reported by windows whenever I connected the drive to Pc.

Finally I decided to go with that same windows utility that was reporting errors and everything went fine.

But today I was trying to defrag index files on fixed internal partition with Perfect Disc that is done during boot, and Chkdsk appeared and before I could stop it started fixing something and erased 200gb of material or stored it somewhere where I can't find it.
I can't find reports, log or anything.No indications of it in any of the utilities.
I revealed hidden files/folders, went through Total Commander view, even Nero, and nothing, no trace of chk files.
But I can see used space:

70gb unused
100gb used
200gb missing

Advice, help please ,it's pretty urgent
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

See if you can recover the files with this:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 zordancica

zordancica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

I have it, thanks and I was going to try with it. I was waiting to see if there was some other solution, because I've seen almost everywhere warnings that it is dangerous to write with software of that type on HD before trying everything else. I thought that I was doing something wrong or lacking knowledge to do that "everything else".
Oh and I can see folders with name "found 000....001...." through Eset Smart Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users