Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM ThinkPad T40

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unobadtaz

unobadtaz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

I have a IBM ThinkPad T40 intel pent 1.6 and 1 g ram service pack 3 XP home, and I have connected it via ethernet, but it will not recognize the DSL line. The light on the ethernet card is on, but unable to connect, I have checked the device manager, and it is not even showing up there. I have also pinged it and it came back with 4 reply's. Any idea's on how to fix this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

Is it pulling an IP?
Go to Start click on Run and type in CMD and press enter. you will get a black command prompt box. Then type in ipconfig and press enter. This will give you your IP address Subnet Mask and Gateway. Post those back here.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:37 AM

Where did you initiate the ping from and where did you PING? Are you connected directly to the DSL modem or are you connected through a Router? Are you able to configure the Ethernet adapter in Network connections in the control panel? If Ethernet is not listed in the Device Manager then the card or adapter is not installed in windows. The Light on the Card only indicates the Cable to the Network card is connected properly. If the card is not installed you will need to install the drivers provided by the manufacture of the card if its a USB or PCMCIA card or the manufacture of your computer in this case IBM and you can find your drivers HERE. Since you are connecting VIA Ethernet you need the Ethernet drivers. You should also download any other drivers your missing while your there.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2011 - 01:38 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users