Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What have I done to Facebook?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hey all,
I know that from a smart cookie like me, this shouldn't even be happening, but it is. I've been having really huge hassles with Facebook lately. I can't even get on the thing nowadays without having to answer security questions, verify my email address, and the like. This is driving me up the wall as you've probably figured out by now. I'll begin with the first time this started. Me and a friend of mine were setting things up on my server at home, and to honor the occasion, I let her log into my Facebook account (for she created it for me in the first place, so you shouldn't be alarmed that she can log in there). She was logging in there to try and help me delete my inactive account that was linked to an old Comcast email address I don't have anymore. We never managed to delete the account, so it's lucky that folks who request me don't land on the inactive one. This is where all of the trouble started. When we got through, she logged me out as is the proper way to do it. A couple of weeks later (last week I think), I logged in from my laptop here as is my custom at college to check up on everybody, as well as to investigate the problem of why I can't see a particular individual who had definitely confirmed me. (to this day, I still can't see him). I got a message telling me about some unusual log in activity, but I mentally dismissed it as the result of my friend fooling around with it the week before. The funny thing is when I was trying to add one of her friends (we are all kind of networked). He was in my suggestions list, so I figured, why not? I talk to him on Twitter, and he's quite a cool dude. Going to add him was the difficult part. I was prompted with the message: "Your request cannot be sent. You cannot add this person as a friend (insert name here) unless you know him personally. If you do not know him personally, your request will be marked as spam. If you know him, then tell facebook how you know him, and we'll send your request." I instinctively clicked on the botton to provide more info. I lied my face off telling (supposedly the owners of Facebook), that I was introduced to this guy at a function me and my friend were at together. I'll be honest with you guys and tell you the truth, which is that I only talk to him online and I wish I could meet him someday. Then yesterday, I tried logging in again to post a link I found particularly interesting up on my profile. I was forced to go through the same security question and verification rigmarole I'm taken through every time I log into Facebook anymore, and then, because Firefox is the only browser I can use to independently solve security challenges with the lovely Web Visum Add-on, I had to trust it not to balk (because Facebook's not optimized for use with Mozilla), which it did in the end. I'd really like to know what's going on here. Why can't I see my fellow contact on facebook through any method, be it on the site itself, Windows Live Facebook connect, or AIM, and why am I getting security challenges and warnings about unusual log in activity left and right? Please don't tell me that this was caused by a very trusted friend of mine just trying to do her part and give me a hand. Thanks. And by the way, She and three others think I may have been hit with a spam thingo or something. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions as to how I might be able to get this resolved and be able to have fun in the social networking world again.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users