Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get online due to backdoor.tidserv.l!inf

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 dbventure

dbventure

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hello and let me start with thanks for any help.

I'm trying to help a friend by fixing his computer. Somehow, he's gotten this backdoor.tidserv.l!inf
He's unable to get online (Limited or no connectivity - unable to obtain an IP address), so I'm having to copy things onto a flash drive.
I've been reading others post and responses.
For log files such as from OTL or other scanners, should I attach them as txt or just paste in here?

Thanks again.
-Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dbventure

dbventure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

This is what Symantec says:

Risk: Backdoor.Tidserv.I!inf
Action: Left alone
Filename: netbt.sys
Original Location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

#3 dbventure

dbventure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

It looks like this issue can be closed and/or removed. By following information on an earlier post, I was able to use TDSSKiller and the issue seems to have been resolved. I would be open to any suggestions about how I can essentially lock down his computer so he can't accidentally do this type of thing again? This is not the first time I've had to clean up his mess. I've read a little about something like Microsoft SteadyState (which I guess is no longer available) and something like that seems like it could work. Anyway, I'll be installing the newest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection so hopefully that will help (there was an older version installed previously). Will SEP work with Spybot Teatimer?

Thanks for reading.
Doug

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users